Question about Kontakt 5/6

Starise

You can relocate the libraries to another location and use Kontakt 6 to find the new location. Then you can safely uninstall Kontakt 5.

I always install any Kontakt libraries to my sample drive. That way the libraries are more efficient and safe from being uninstalled by mistake. There are a few tutorials to show you how to move the libraries if you need.

• Great Idea 1

Not so!!!  You need to keep the older version. Cakewalk files with Kontakt 5 loaded will no automatically open with 6. You will loose all you banks and settings.  Best way - keep 5 and  4 especially because 4 will load sfz , 6 will not imports them. and other formats that support.  I don’t think 5 does Sfz but it still import more formats.  All your libraries and such will be fine in 6. 

32 minutes ago, Max Arwood said:

Not so!!!  You need to keep the older version. Cakewalk files with Kontakt 5 loaded will no automatically open with 6. You will loose all you banks and settings.  Best way - keep 5 and  4 especially because 4 will load sfz , 6 will not imports them. and other formats that support.  I don’t think 5 does Sfz but it still import more formats.  All your libraries and such will be fine in 6. 

I agree with this - there is very little space reclaimed by uninstalling Kontakt 5, and as noted in what I quoted, it is a whole lot less of a hassle to just leave all the projects that used Kontakt 5 alone, and just start using Kontakt 6 for new projects.

I run both side by side, and all the old projects load up just fine.

Bob Bone