Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Beagle

Show Him the Love - **UPDATED MIX** 3-3-19

Recommended Posts

Show Him the Love by Scandalous Grace

All comments welcomed!

NEW UPDATED MIX based on your feedback!  same link!

*****  UPDATED 3/3/19 *******

Music and words by R Bain
Reece Bain - Drum Programming, Rhodes Piano, Vocals
Michael Hanson - Bass, Electric Guitar, Backing vocals
Sean Peifer - Acoustic, Backing Vocals

 

Edited by Beagle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got more than a little of the Elvis Costello vibe from this! Maybe not what you were aiming at? Your voice is good and with an English accent, might pass for E.C. . .. 

Mix-wise, I listened on decent headphones, and in the verses, your voice is just about as loud as the bass. Particularly in the first verse/intro. LAter, your vocal mixing seems louder and it works much better. You might drop thebass a bit in the first part . . .

Nice powerful singing at the end! Maybe bgv up a little?

 

The other thing to work out is perhaps that lead guitar patch, it's thin sounding, like you just went with a DI track from an Ovation. Did you gird it with an amp sim? Got a beefier patch?

 

Overall, the song holds together quite well, and I think this is one of your better ones.

Well done!

 

cheers,

-Tom

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure what Tom's been smoking, but to me you sound neither English nor anything like Elvis Costello 🤣..I got more of a Josh Groban vibe.

Anyway... well written song, nicely captured. Drums are a bit stiff, but programming can be like that. Certainly of your best tunes.

Just a thought - I notice you guys all post the songs on your individual pages, why not have a dedicated Scandalous Grace page on Soundcloud?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, emeraldsoul said:

I got more than a little of the Elvis Costello vibe from this! Maybe not what you were aiming at? Your voice is good and with an English accent, might pass for E.C. . .. 

Mix-wise, I listened on decent headphones, and in the verses, your voice is just about as loud as the bass. Particularly in the first verse/intro. LAter, your vocal mixing seems louder and it works much better. You might drop thebass a bit in the first part . . .

Nice powerful singing at the end! Maybe bgv up a little?

 

The other thing to work out is perhaps that lead guitar patch, it's thin sounding, like you just went with a DI track from an Ovation. Did you gird it with an amp sim? Got a beefier patch?

 

Overall, the song holds together quite well, and I think this is one of your better ones.

Well done!

 

cheers,

-Tom

Hey Tom - thanks so much for the listen and review!  EC, huh?  well, that's a comparison I've never heard before!

So I'll definitely look at the vocals vs bass in the beginning and look at the BGV's volume.

 

on the "lead guitar patch" - can you clarify?  are you talking about the acoustic or the electric?  neither are actually "lead" - they're both playing rhythm.  since you compare it to an Ovation I assume you mean the acoustic?  as far as an amp sim - no, I don't think the acoustic was sim'd.  I'll let Sean speak on the details on that, but I suspect he recorded it mic'd with 1 LD mic.  if it's thin sounding, I can adjust that some in the mix, though.

 

thanks again for the kudos and the comments!  we appreciate it very much (regardless of what you're smoking! 😎)

Edited by Beagle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, James G said:

Not sure what Tom's been smoking, but to me you sound neither English nor anything like Elvis Costello 🤣..I got more of a Josh Groban vibe.

Anyway... well written song, nicely captured. Drums are a bit stiff, but programming can be like that. Certainly of your best tunes.

Just a thought - I notice you guys all post the songs on your individual pages, why not have a dedicated Scandalous Grace page on Soundcloud?

Hey Jaymz!  yeah, I don't know what he's smokin' either! 😆

 

thanks for the listen and the great comments!  

I had a hard time on the drums on this song and reworked them several times.  I may have to just deal with them being a little stiff.  (don't say it, baps!)

so on the soundcloud thing - we DO actually have a Scandalous Grace page on soundcloud, but the reason we don't use it in these forums is because it's not a paid page, but my page and Mike's page are, so we can upload new versions of the mix without resetting everything on those pages.  when we finish changing the mix we upload the final version to the SG soundcloud page and publish that on social media.

We are a LITTLE behind on getting all of our finals on the SG soundcloud page, tho...😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found this a little slow and it felt like it dragged for me, perhaps it is the programmed drums, vocal was up to your normal standard Reece, though the bass is a little loud in places, thanks for sharing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a good song and I enjoyed it - especially your vocal.  I do agree with Wookiee that the drums dragged a bit.  I also thought the song could have used a guitar or keys lead solo to add a bit of spice to it.  Overall nice job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, where's the beagle avatar??!! 😁

As always, you have a great message.  On my speakers your vocals are a bit too far upfront.  Yes, vocals should always be the center of the song, especially in a song with as an important message as this, but I can barely hear your instruments at all, except your drums.  Your guitar could come up a bit.

 

😀John B.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/5/2019 at 11:10 AM, Wookiee said:

I found this a little slow and it felt like it dragged for me, perhaps it is the programmed drums, vocal was up to your normal standard Reece, though the bass is a little loud in places, thanks for sharing.

Hey John, yeah, this is a much slower song.  I am not sure if you mean there's a problem with the drums or not, if so, we're not hearing it - it's just a slow 6/8 song.  if you think you're hearing a problem with the drums, please let us know some more detail and we'll listen and try to figure it out!

a couple of you have mentioned the bass, I'll adjust that on the next mix.  keep posted!

thanks for your listen and insight John!

On 2/5/2019 at 3:27 PM, Douglas Kirby said:

It's a good song and I enjoyed it - especially your vocal.  I do agree with Wookiee that the drums dragged a bit.  I also thought the song could have used a guitar or keys lead solo to add a bit of spice to it.  Overall nice job.

Thanks Douglas!  I'm not sure we hear dragging in the drums - I know that Mike and I both tend to play a little ahead of the beat and that can make the drummer "sound lazy" when we do that - so maybe that's what you guys are hearing?  I can definitely listen some more and see if it can be improved.

thanks so much for the listen and comments!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, Reece, How are you, buddy?  It's really great to see you over here at the new place!😀

This is a great worship song with a really nice message, and the performances are all excellent! Your vocals and the harmonies sound fantastic, and the mix is loud, clear and punchy.

My only possible suggestion on the mix would be to try lowering the drum bus volume a couple of dBs so the drums aren't out front quite so much. The excellent vocals, which to me contain the message of the song, are plenty loud enough, but to me, the drums are competing too much with the vocals and other instruments, and sort of distracting from the overall message.  As always, just my subjective opinion, the song sounds great, and I'm sure when you get done tweaking the mix a bit you'll get it where you want it to be.  You, Mike and Sean always do a dynamite job on all your SG stuff!🙂

Anyway, great work by the three of you, really good stuff!

Have a great weekend, Reece!
Bob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no sound engineering or mastering credentials to my name so I'm just going by my own personal experience here.  
I listened to the song without reading the comments first and I too thought the drums were holding things back. I know my hearing ain't what it used to be but maybe all the beats aren't prominent enough? So maybe replace the hi-hat and stick or add in some toms for a fuller drum sound.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/10/2019 at 1:25 PM, emeraldsoul said:

Smoke This!!! :)

Give Reece an English accent, and voila!

 

 

 

Where's my ashtray???

 

cheers,

-Tom

LOL!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/5/2019 at 7:52 PM, Johnbee58 said:

Hey, where's the beagle avatar??!! 😁

As always, you have a great message.  On my speakers your vocals are a bit too far upfront.  Yes, vocals should always be the center of the song, especially in a song with as an important message as this, but I can barely hear your instruments at all, except your drums.  Your guitar could come up a bit.

 

😀John B.

 

Hey John B!  well, the beagle avatar is retired for now.  we'll see if he comes back out of retirement or not! :D

thanks for listening and the great comments!  I've updated the mix, the guitars have been brought up - check it out and let me know if this is an improvement.  same link!!

 

thanks again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/9/2019 at 3:36 AM, Bob Oister said:

Hey, Reece, How are you, buddy?  It's really great to see you over here at the new place!😀

This is a great worship song with a really nice message, and the performances are all excellent! Your vocals and the harmonies sound fantastic, and the mix is loud, clear and punchy.

My only possible suggestion on the mix would be to try lowering the drum bus volume a couple of dBs so the drums aren't out front quite so much. The excellent vocals, which to me contain the message of the song, are plenty loud enough, but to me, the drums are competing too much with the vocals and other instruments, and sort of distracting from the overall message.  As always, just my subjective opinion, the song sounds great, and I'm sure when you get done tweaking the mix a bit you'll get it where you want it to be.  You, Mike and Sean always do a dynamite job on all your SG stuff!🙂

Anyway, great work by the three of you, really good stuff!

Have a great weekend, Reece!
Bob

Hey Bob!  thanks so much for the listen and the great comments and suggestions!  I've updated the mix based on your feedback here.  the drums are down a little, the guitars are up, the bass is down a little and the BGVs are up a little.  lots of changes - let me know what you think!

 

thanks again Bob!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/9/2019 at 11:40 AM, bjornpdx said:

I have no sound engineering or mastering credentials to my name so I'm just going by my own personal experience here.  
I listened to the song without reading the comments first and I too thought the drums were holding things back. I know my hearing ain't what it used to be but maybe all the beats aren't prominent enough? So maybe replace the hi-hat and stick or add in some toms for a fuller drum sound.  

Hey Bjorn!  thanks so much for the listen and comments!  I've updated the drum hits with this newest mix, there are more hits and the drums now have a fuller sound.  thanks so much for the feedback!  let me know what you think about the new mix!  it's the same link!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the feedback everyone!  the mix is updated based on your feedback.  let us know what you think!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Beagle sorry I did not get back sooner Reece been busy here, just had Solar electricity generating panels installed here which has had a general impact on everything musical.

Listening to the remix now and this sounds better, in the previous mix the drums did not seem to work they felt to my furry ears like they were plodding rather than complementing the mix, this does sound better, perhaps my furry ears are just feeling a little less stressed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, Reece,

This new mix sounds much, much better!👍

Hope you don't hate me for my nitpicking, Beegs, it's only my subjective opinion, but I'd still like to hear the vocals up one or two dBs, and the right side strummed guitar is just a little bit too loud. (YIKES! That's coming from a fellow guitar player! 😀 LOL, I'll have to turn in my union card!)

Either way, Reece, it's definitely sounding way better, and is really getting close.  Great work on this!🙂

Have a fantastic day, buddy!
Bob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...