Midi issues

Leon Lim

Hi, I am dumbfounded because I never had this issue before. I've been using Cakewalk for 20 years and never faced and issue I couldn't resolve. Even last week everything was working like a charm. I can't understand what is causing this issue however.

My midi controllers were working fine with my softsynths on cakewalk as usual. I use it both on my PC and laptop. When I opened a project from my laptop to my pc. I suddenly am not able to use my controller on my PC anymore with cakewalk. No midi in or out signals. the existing midi can playback. But none of my keyboards work as a controller anymore. I have a korg kronos and a Yamaha montage. Both just wont work although all the setting show they are there and set correctly.

Then I go back to my laptop everything is working fine. Until I load a project I was working on for my PC. Then I get the same midi issues on my laptop. Both PC and laptop now cannot work with my midi controllers just on Cakewalk. Because my other softwares like finale and Akai VIP work fine with my controllers. 

I left my physical midi cables in the office and because of the lockdown I can't get them to try if the midi through my interface works. I'm stuck and rushing work. And am just frustrated at what is wrong. If anyone can help. It would be great.

Ok this is new to me. How do you delete and re-add in Cakewalk? They disappear when they are not available. An appear when they are available. There is not delete available device...

I deleted and reinstalled my drivers on windows but not in cakewalk...

37 minutes ago, Leon Lim said:

Ok this is new to me. How do you delete and re-add in Cakewalk? They disappear when they are not available. An appear when they are available. There is not delete available device...

SONAR 3.3.1: image.png.8b3e1eb8a70ed59a8e2a746b807c3b47.png

Cakewalk:     image.png.bb2a107b32f8c23415046b34130f989e.png

Not quite 20 years apart.  One of the differences is the proliferation of usb/midi devices.  If you unplug them and move them to different usb ports/hubs, that can cause issues.  

Yups i'm familiar with this panel. But you can't delete the devices. It appears when the device is available. 

I did select it and apply and de-select it as well. and applied. Still doesn't work. Only difference it goes from showing no midi signals to constant midi signals. I haven't run a diagnostic what data it is sending out....

I've never had a problem in the past with changing usb port. However even if I use the same one now. it doesn't work. every usb port on my computer can't function on cakewalk. Other softwares work fine.....

Yes, what I meant is to un-select your device, shut down Cakewalk and then restart and then re-select. However,  if you have un-installed and re-installed the driver then you have probably already done that step.

Sometimes windows gets too many midi ports installed and you have to clean them up.  You can try the following utility to see if it helps. I don't know what your issue is but just suggesting things that I have tried.

https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/articles/115004269166-Windows-is-unable-to-recognize-a-USB-MIDI-device-

Thanks for the Korg link.  I decided to download the latest configuration utility and found my Korg Kontrol Editor no longer worked, despite the fact that the nanoKontrol itself still worked (per MIDI-OX).  After getting midi port failure messages and an inability to receive/send [communicate], I finally found how to correct the problem. Just a guess, but I think the The 2020 Korg driver uses a different device name than my previous driver.  My solution was to change the device marked "(Not Connected)"--possibly from a previous configuration file--to the names evidently used by the new driver.  I had to do this for both MIDI IN and MIDI OUT.

I mention this here in case someone else updates their Korg USB-MIDI Tools and has a similar problem.

image.png.b3b326e8b602ed38ccced87385a6d1ef.png       New Korg USB Driver device names : image.png.a4aff94aaa3037d1611faf5019ebdae8.png

Edited by User 905133
(3) to fix typo "ability" to "inability" ;(2) to reflect ^^^ certainty that the 2020 Korg driver caused the problem (1) to add an image of the new Korg nanoKontrol device names

So I used the utility and can see that I have the devices there. But I can only select the korg devices. There are empty midi slots before that. What do I need to do to delete of clean up this list? How do I know if there is too many because there seems to be 29 slots. Most of my things are located after midi 10...

Sorry I'm following the youtube and let see how that goes...I did this last time when I had issue with my korg nanokontrol...

Edited by Leon Lim

• 2 weeks later...

I've not managed to get it to work via USB but the rig works with my MIDI cables on my interface. So I've just used it like this for this because there is too much work to rush at the moment. Will revisit this when I have the time. Meanwhile if anyone else has such issues and found a solution. I'm all open. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

So opening a project from the other PC breaks MIDI input functionalty in all projects that were working after re-install/update? That's pretty weird.

And you've confirmed it's an input problem not an echo problem - you can't record any input with a track set to omni? Check Preferences > MIDI > Playback and Recording to ensure Notes and Controllers are enabled for recording at a minimum. And Driver Mode is MME, not UWP? 

What does the MIDI device config look like on the other PC? I would compare the TTSSEQ.INI files between the two machines, and look for changes to it that might be happening between re-installing and opening the project that breaks things.

It breaks all midi input or output functionality on all projects yet. And when I reinstall it is fine. It is a weird problem. That's why i'm posting. I've used cakewalk for more almost 2 decades and didn't need to post anything until now.

I can't record anything because there is now input or output on anything. I'll check the settings you propose then get back. I just saw this post and yes driver settings is MME

I'm sure its not an echo problem because when  I click on the piano within the softsynth panel there is sound. So despite having midi data. No matter what output I put it to there is no sound. It just won't trigger anything

Edited by Leon Lim