How to use purchased midi files

I have been seeing offers for sale that include midi sequences and patterns. How do we use them.a my guess is that we drop them onto a track but obviously there is no sound.  Do we simply add an instrument track, and select that track as the output of the midi track? That would be my guess but never tried. I have no audio interface at the moment (in process of being exchanged under warranty) so I cannot try. If someone has a definitive answer, it would be appreciated so I can try this once I am back up and running. Thanks.

AFAIK and as long as you have a default installation (ie the TTS is installed) if you "open" a midi file the TTS will automatically be assigned to all the parts of the MIDI file. If you purchased a commercial MIDI file then it will be setup according to all the GM (general MIDI) protocols. The TTS synth is a GM sound module, it's pretty awful but will do the job of allowing you to identify parts. Some commercial MIDI sites provide a track listing in the docs, but not all.

If you import a midi file then you need to assign the TTS yourself. Then highlight all tracks hold the ctrl key and select the TTS as the "OUT" destination on one track (or you can do it one by one if you wish) this will then assign the TTS to all tracks.

Personally I use things like addictive drums and Sampletank 4, however I do use the TTS initially to establish what is playing where and with what sound.

Automatic assignment of TTS-1 on MIDI file open depends on having no MIDI output device selected in preferences. If a MIDI output device is selected, opening a MIDI file will not have TTS-1 automatically loaded and mapped to the tracks.

Automatic assignment of TTS-1 is handy when starting with a complete MIDI performance but not so much for collections of smaller MIDI clips like MIDI drum loops.