Problems with latest Cakewalk by Bandlab - Windows 10

audinf

I have a pupil who is experiencing a lot of problems with Cakewalk by Bandlab. It started with Multi Samplers, like Kontakt and Aria. After instantiating the instrument in the Rack, and loading several sounds in it (each on its own channel), we then created MIDI tracks, each we addressed to the respective sound/channel. Playing with the MIDI controller, everything was well.

We then recorded a track. After recording, the sound was muted (in Kontakt) or with the volume severely reduced (in Aria). Unloading and reloading the sound would make it back to normal. However, after recording a new track, ALL tracks (even the one already recorded) would present the anomaly again. There were no controllers or commands in in action that could cause that.

Yesterday, after uninstalling and reinstalling EVERYTHING related to Cakewalk, a new anomaly appeared. This time, Cakjewalk was stoping to respond to the MIDI controllers. Using other software (like Kinbtakt standalone) allowed us to verify that the MIDI controllers were working as expected - the anomaly was only in Cakewalk.

Frankly, I don't know what else can I do. I advised him to simply give up on Cakewalk for good. What intrigues me the most is that I used and am using Cakewalk on several systems, one of them Windows 7 and the others Windows 10, and I never experienced or saw this problem before.

Add to this that last weekend my daughter also installed Cakewalk in her own computer. She is a pianist, and wanted to record some demos for his pupils, to send them, so I advised her to use Cakewalk for that. She linked her electronic piano (a Yamaha) to the compute,r and used it as a MIDI controller, Once again,. she was able to play MIDI through perfectly, but when recording, the sound disappears, although the signal was recorded perfectly. I adviced her to use the piano own sound to minotor, and that how she worked around the problem.

These are weird problems, that i don't observe in my own computers, but if someone has some advices that would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

Mismo problema, traté de cargar una pista midi con el bajo virtual que trae CAKEWALK y no lo reprodujo, cambié a un piano de WAVES y si sonó, traté de instalar otro bajo y tampoco suena, si alguien tiene una respuesta a este problema ojalá y la comparta, o cree que sea solo un problema de actualización?

Edited by Hellostrato Stein

1 hour ago, audinf said:

These are weird problems, that i don't observe in my own computers, but if someone has some advices that would be greatly appreciated.

Some Kontakt Libraries have CC controllers for expression / volume which are being reset by Cakewalk when playback stops.

If you go into Edit - Preferences - Midi - Other Options and untick the box that says ' Zero Controllers When Playback Stop'

This should resolve your first issue.  IIRC this is a per project setting so if you start a new project you'll need to do it again.

Hoe that helps

I was recently observing the same thing with the NI Analog dreams instrument for Kontakt. Volume dropped significantly down after stopping the transport, but came back to normal if I reloaded the preset. Unchecking the "Zero controllers..." Option fixes that.  I haven't had time to go further into this, but it seems related to CC11 or CC7. Maybe those instruments use a script that changes those  values over time.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JoseC said:

I was recently observing the same thing with the NI Analog dreams instrument for Kontakt. Volume dropped significantly down after stopping the transport, but came back to normal if I reloaded the preset. Unchecking the "Zero controllers..." Option fixes that.  I haven't had time to go further into this, but it seems related to CC11 or CC7. Maybe those instruments use a script that changes those  values over time.

I noticed the same thing with this synth when trying to freeze it - audio always radically different to the midi playback - couldn't figure out why it was happening. As it was free I couldn't be bothered to contact NI support (because, ya know,  NI support) and was about to consign it to the bin.

The same happens with other NI instruments for Kontakt included in Komplete 12, Ethereal Earth and Hybrid Keys.  Those are the only instruments I´ve found with that problem, the rest of the instruments I have tested work fine. Anyway, unchecking the Zero controllers option solves that. 

7 minutes ago, JoseC said:

The same happens with other NI instruments for Kontakt included in Komplete 12, Ethereal Earth and Hybrid Keys.  Those are the only instruments I´ve found with that problem, the rest of the instruments I have tested work fine. Anyway, unchecking the Zero controllers option solves that. 

Good to know. Slight problem though in that I'm having a poke around now and I can't see that option listed anywhere either in instrument or kontakt player settings? Any chance of pointing me in the right direction? TIA.

3 minutes ago, JoseC said:

That option is in Cakewalk´s Preferences/project/MIDI menu. Zero Controllers When Play Stops:

http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=0x200D7

It also seems like a good idea to leave that unchecked if you are using CC11 for expression. It looks like this might be the problem with the OP.

No wonder I couldn't find it then! Thanks again.