What size LCD monitor are you guys using?

Christian Jones

The (old) PC my brother the programmer gave me only had 4:3 aspect ratio, which looked ridiculous on these wide TVs. So I bought an G-Force video card for it. That allows for up to 3 monitors, but 2 are enough. I did have 3 connected just to see how it worked (well) but I have no space for 3 at this time.

21 hours ago, ensconced said:

I would/could never use a single monitor (unless it was big enough to comfortably allow me to do what I do with my 2) I really can't understand how people do it, even more so do it on a laptop

Same here. Track view on the left one / MD with tabbed console view/browser/synth rack on the right is the best layout for me. Having everything on the one screen, however large it might be, just looks cluttered to me. I know some here never use the CV and do everything in TV but I don't know how they do that either.

1 hour ago, paulo said:

. I know some here never use the CV and do everything in TV but I don't know how they do that either.

Yeah, whenever I have read that, I just can't grasp the concept, it's just, I don't know, alien or something ;) but to those people the way I have it is probably equally as strange

14 hours ago, Christian Jones said:

Well I'm thinking then to just get two 24" 1080p monitors and get an arm to keep one above the other. 

Word @InstrEd, scope us out a good monitor arm 👍

I was thinking along these lines as well, you see the vertically stacked monitors on crime shows in the CIA/FBI/NCIS offices etc but you never see them much in DAW studios on the net or even in video editing. I shopped around for a dual vertical monitor mount but couldn't find one. Now there is one on the Australian version of Amazon. I think it might work better with the true 16:9 monitors, wider, not as tall. Great if you have limited space. The bottom one needs to be angled up and the top one angled down.

Piano roll/mixer on the bottom and tracks on the top or for video editing timeline on the bottom, full screen playback on the top. I think I could even move to 22 inch monitors with this set up.

Verticle monitors.jpg

Edited by Tezza

This is the one I was looking at, there is probably similar in US:

https://www.amazon.com.au/13-27-Vertical-Monitor-Freestanding-Desktop/dp/B07GLKLDXN/ref=asc_df_B07GLKLDXN/?tag=googleshopdsk-22&linkCode=df0&hvadid=341791782407&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11054944499982934610&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9070976&hvtargid=pla-759840200760&psc=1

Maybe you have to use the clamp type one (like in the picture) rather than the stand if you want to angle the top one down, or it falls on top of you. And a couple of monitors with thin borders.

Edited by Tezza

Hi Christian

Sorry a bit late in on the discussion but lockdown  has already meant some internet issues - also  South Africa lost one of its three cables bringing internet into the Country, so that also has caused us issues.

But today is good - everything working!!!

I use  a 50" old TV and a 22" monitor - I put all the sub elements (synth rack, inspector etc) on the 22" and just keep the main mixing window on the 50"

If you have a quick look at this video, you can see them in use (go to around 9.20)

Cheers

Nigel

• Like 1

Heh, I remember when there was no way you could have a video monitor that close to an audio monitor!  The magnets in the audio monitor would pull and distort the picture in the video monitor...  Ah, CRT's!  Nope, don't miss them at all - especially the eye strain and the burn-in!  🙂

• Like 1