What size LCD monitor are you guys using?

Christian Jones

I'm about to upgrade my lcd soon which I believe is a 21.5" Samsung which I intend to mount on the wall above the new monitor. I suspect a lot of you  have a multi monitor setup. Just wondering what the biggest monitor is that you guys are using that's still easy on your eyes and doesn't make you feel like you're sitting front row in a movie theater. I could fit a 32" lcd on this desk, but the farthest I'll be able to sit away from it is no more than 3 feet. My TV is 32" and I tried sitting 3 ft from it and it's not that bad really so I don't know if it'd be any different for a daw. What are you guys using? 

I've got a Acer 27" 1920x1080 using the on board video from my i9 9900k. This screen size with this resolution is exactly what I was looking for. Nothing is too small in CbB. And as Lord Tim says, with skylight being alomost the perfect UI for a DAW, I have barley use my second screen. In fact, the second screen won't get hooked up with this new build. 

This is the screen I have, but is no longer available from Newegg. But I do see other sellers have it still available. I bought it back in 2015 on a CHristmas sale new for $230. That's the most I ever spent on a monitor, but realized real quick that it was worth every cent. Don't skimp on the monitor. That's what your looking at for a long time.

1 hour ago, Neel Modi said:

Two 24" monitors

Neel in studio.jpg

This is what I'm using too. Two twenty something inch monitors. Neel is sitting much closer than I am to mine though since I have two keyboards sitting into a custom made desk in the front of it.Mine are at head height which helps but they are a little farther away.

2 hours ago, Christian Jones said:

So you're doing music on a 40 inch monitor? What kind of video card do you have? I don't game personally 

An old GeForce GTX 1050.  Many video cards can easily handle this now.  Heck, even the tiny stuff that comes with a Raspberry Pi can handle 4k monitors!

I love my 32" 2k monitor. It is center and leaves just enough room to have my audio monitors close by on each side. This makes an equilateral triangle between the speakers and my ears.

And for good measure I have a 24" on top of the 32" so I can drag VSTs to it and keep the main Cakewalk window's on my main screen.

42 minutes ago, Jacques Boileau said:

And for good measure I have a 24" on top of the 32" so I can drag VSTs to it and keep the main Cakewalk window's on my main screen.

Yeah that's what I'm gonna to do with my current monitor put it above the new 32-inch monitor I'm gonna get. Which 32" monitor do you have? 

I have the Asus VA32AQ. Its a few years old but still a pleasure to work with. It even looks great with its glass base.

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Monitors/VA32AQ/

What is tough to find is a pole high enough to hold the 24" on top of it. But I found one on Amazon.

As you can see it is still a work in progress. I still need proper speaker stand. And working from home as a software developer has made a bit of a mess of my studio. Should be back to normal after this crisis.

IMG_20200330_204849828.thumb.jpg.e671c1cc673a9886095a88c72a97d0e0.jpg

Edited by Jacques Boileau

I use 2 Vizio TVs, one is 32" and the other 29", side-by-side.
I really need to do some reconfiguring of my desk top (the top of my desk, not a PC). Currently, my speakers are behind the TVs. Not optimal.
But I can't hear, anyway.

11 hours ago, Jacques Boileau said:

I have the Asus VA32AQ. Its a few years old but still a pleasure to work with. It even looks great with its glass base.

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Monitors/VA32AQ/

What is tough to find is a pole high enough to hold the 24" on top of it. But I found one on Amazon.

As you can see it is still a work in progress. I still need proper speaker stand. And working from home as a software developer has made a bit of a mess of my studio. Should be back to normal after this crisis.

IMG_20200330_204849828.thumb.jpg.e671c1cc673a9886095a88c72a97d0e0.jpg

Ah, so that 32" and 24" must both be 2560x1440 monitors? Because correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure in order to run a dual monitor setup both monitors have to be running at the same resolution and I'd assume you'd be running the 32" at 2560x1440.. 

I'm thinking of just scoring two new monitors, a 27" and 24" the 24-inch will be on amount above the 27 inch and both would be 2560x1440 I'm thinking. Because the 20.5" monitor I have now is only 1080 so I don't think I'd be able to run it in a dual monitor setup w/ a 27" or above w/ their higher resolutions 

Two 24s matching pair with thin bezels at 1920x1080 (4K makes things too small).    Right at about arms length away.  At this distance woudl not want 27s.  22s work.  

Would not want different size ones or a single large one.   

Also be mindful of monitor placement, you get beyond a couple 24s side by side and the monitors are going to be coming at your from the side!

To cretique Neel's setup, the monitors are too low to be ergonomic and the speakers are well above ear level, neither is ideal.  However the general concept  he has is solid.  

On 3/31/2020 at 5:50 AM, Neel Modi said:

Two 24" monitors

Neel in studio.jpg

2x24" monitors, that's what I use as well (although you wont find CbB/SONAR on mine), I would/could never use a single monitor (unless it was big enough to comfortably allow me to do what I do with my 2) I really can't understand how people do it, even more so do it on a laptop. I had to use a Laptop last year while I was away looking after my parents, couldn't do it, had to get 2 monitors and hook them up, it felt claustrophobic or something, horrible experience.

Edited by ensconced

2 hours ago, Christian Jones said:

Ah, so that 32" and 24" must both be 2560x1440 monitors? Because correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure in order to run a dual monitor setup both monitors have to be running at the same resolution and I'd assume you'd be running the 32" at 2560x1440.. 

I'm thinking of just scoring two new monitors, a 27" and 24" the 24-inch will be on amount above the 27 inch and both would be 2560x1440 I'm thinking. Because the 20.5" monitor I have now is only 1080 so I don't think I'd be able to run it in a dual monitor setup w/ a 27" or above w/ their higher resolutions 

No you don't need same resolution monitors under Windows. Mine are:

32" 2560x1440

24" 1680x1050

Works fine and I am using a simple Intel on motherboard graphic card. Nothing fancy.

Edit:

While checking the resolution I saw the model of my top display is a Dell 2208WFP, so its not 24" but 22"! But for VST UI its good enough! 🙂

Edited by Jacques Boileau

Thanks for the responses. Does anyone know if 2560x1440 resolution on a 24" monitor makes things too small? I don't want to have to scale. How about that resolution on a 27" monitor? This is for my daw, but I'll be doing a bit of video editing too for YouTube etc. I think I would prefer two monitors rather than one big monitor and I plan to stack them vertically.