Switching Genres

kzmaier

So I'm the old fart in this band.  I've spent the last year in my son's Blues band.  Its lots of fun.  The we're a trans blues band, many genres.  Other members in the band include, rock-a-billy, punk, and metal.   I'm really a prog rocker, think Pink Floyd, Yes, Genesis,...  When I write I love to start with synths, guitar, and then riff over it with lead guitar.  Now I'm trying to write blues tunes but avoid the 1,4,5 hum drums.  Any suggestions?

If you get too far from 1, 4, 5, m6  you drift away from the blues. Jazz guys do that a lot, but it isn't blues anymore.

When a blues artist tries to stay blues and starts putting in M7, 6, #9#11,  etc, chords and plays bob scales, it bugs me. If he does it in the jazz genre, it delights me.

It's about being creative with that limited palette.

Insights and incites by Notes

• Like 1

Hmmm. If you are in a real blues band, you need to respect the blues. Blues don't take kindly to synth noodlin'. :) Sounds like what you really need is a side project. Or get it together and be the online one-man progfest!

You start getting all portamento in a blues band and you'll have to duck the whiskey glasses they whip at your head.

Seriously, go light a fire under this guy with your intricate, well-conceived, architectural, self-indulgent, polyrhythmic epicness . . .

image.png.223d415f5b7082286534995172d91319.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, craigb said:

Screw the labels.  Create what you like and let others call it whatever they will!

This approach works! it has successfully gotten me no where in the last 20 years! I didn't want to go anywhere, so I'm happy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/31/2020 at 2:41 PM, michaelhanson said:

Yes! Writing songs which are not popular is a sure bet on going nowhere.  Been there, done that.

When writing or performing music, if you want an audience, you must respect the tastes and sophistication of your audience.

Early in my career I was given this mantra:

You can play for yourself, you can play for other musicians, our you can play for the general public. If you are good enough, you will get the audience you asked for.

• Like 1