How to use an iPad as a wireless Midi Controller

robinibbo

I needed  versatile midi controller for Sonar but didn't want to spend loads of bucks on some fancy hardware.

Well if you have an iPad (2014 on) and a Windows PC running Sonar then this project will set you up with a state of the art wireless midi controller. Play the keyboard or kick off sounds with drum pads or control effects with sliding faders, oh and its portable too, runs off bluetooth not wireless!

Open the guide and work through it step by step, you can use any midi controller app in the App Store but I choose Midi Controller because it beats everything else hands down.

Shout if you get stuck, have fun!

iPad Sonar Controller.pdf

• robinibbo changed the title to How to use an iPad as a wireless Midi Controller

I downloaded the PDF and read it and the only reference to SONAR is in the filename and the first line. The rest of the instructions are only "how to use an iPad as a MIDI controller with Windows" with no further references to Cakewalk by BandLab or SONAR. It describes downloading and installing the necessary software, then testing it using nanoHost, then stops.

Are you sure you uploaded the correct file? It seems to me like there should be another page of instructions in there for setting up rtpMIDI as a MIDI device in Cakewalk, testing it Cakewalk, something along those lines? I'm not trying to be a dick, just asking if the file might not be what you intended to upload and if it is, let you know that one person who read it finds it helpful but a little incomplete.

The instructions should probably work with CbB in place of nanoHost for anyone who wants to try it, and I'm sure you wouldn't have uploaded it if you hadn't tried it, so thanks! I found a wifi keyboard app for iOS with a small server component that works a treat. "WiFi Keyboard"