I’m still on SPLAT. What will I loose by updating?

Shawn T

You lose nothing.

CbB installs as an upgrade to Platinum.

Both CbB and Platinum are available after installing CbB.

All plug-ins bundled with 64bit Platinum and other content will be available to both.

CbB overwrites shared folders including better performing VST Scanner and Plug-in Manager utilities.

+1. The trick is to NOT uninstall your existing SPLAT. Everything will still be there if you don't and I haven't seen any plugins yet that don't fire up as expected.  If you have the VS-700 you either get to hack the driver to use it on Win10, or stay in Win 7.  CbB will still install and update on Win7 but it will complain about it.  

I haven't found a downside yet, and, with the Rise of the COVIDs, I am actually going to embrace a remote collaboration workflow  via Bandlab and see how that goes as well....so I am evangelizing CbB and Bandlab to my friends across the county.   

12 minutes ago, Craig Anderton said:

I remember with SPLAT installs that it would overwrite custom content like track icons I made. I don't recall if CbB does the same thing, but you might want to make sure that anything you created is backed up. 

Track Icons like a lot of content are under product folders in Cakewalk Content so the CbB track icons by default are under "Cakewalk Core" like the Platinum icons are under SONAR Platinum.

For custom content where the folder is not exposed in Preferences like Track Icons, I create a folder under my customizations folder and create a directory junction in the default folder. This insures my custom stuff is never overwritten and simplifies syncing up machines because most of my customized content is in one directory tree.

On 3/30/2020 at 12:55 AM, scook said:

er, unless it's changed, cbb installs as a seperate app, but still using a bunch of "shared" stuff? they made some fuss about that in the beginning

9 minutes ago, pwalpwal said:
On 3/29/2020 at 10:55 PM, scook said:

er, unless it's changed, cbb installs as a seperate app, but still using a bunch of "shared" stuff? they made some fuss about that in the beginning

Yes, that is how upgrades install (think upgrade from X2 to X3). Updates overwrite the existing DAW.