Note draw duration keeps changing

Dave G

SONAR ARTIST

While drawing notes on the PRV in Smart cursor mode, my Note Draw duration setting keeps changing/going to Last Touched. I want it to stay the same, but I have to constantly go to that button and manually change it. (Normally, I like to default it to 1/16 and drag the new note at will.) This issue doesn't seem to happen in Cakewalk by BandLab.

When you set a setting such as this, isn't the conventional behavior of that setting to stay there? This is an annoying issue, and I don't remember it being this way in the past.

Is there any possible way to keep the Draw Duration setting from changing? Thank you in advance.

HI:)

In the PRV there are notes above (whole, half, quarter.....) 

If you click on them the (double-click)inserted note has this length you choose until you draw in a note with another length. Then you have to click again on the note lengths.

Bassman.

Edited by Heinz Hupfer
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Heinz Hupfer said:

HI:)

In the PRV there are notes above (whole, half, quarter.....) 

If you click on them the (double-click)inserted note has this length you choose until you draw in a note with another length. Then you have to click again on the note lengths.

Bassman.

Thank you for the prompt response! :)

I don't see that note bar in Sonar's PRV. (Picture attached.)

Am I missing something?

prv.JPG

This is what the OP is referring to. I used to have the same problem but it hasn't reverted to Last Touched for awhile. I think it's because I was fiddling around with Screensets and saved the one I'm using now as the default, or whatever the term is. That and I changed my Workspace to None.

845752838_NoteDurationLastTouched.jpg.64961d7f56574a186f2981c2f64f315e.jpg

4 hours ago, Chappel said:

This is what the OP is referring to. I used to have the same problem but it hasn't reverted to Last Touched for awhile. I think it's because I was fiddling around with Screensets and saved the one I'm using now as the default, or whatever the term is. That and I changed my Workspace to None.

845752838_NoteDurationLastTouched.jpg.64961d7f56574a186f2981c2f64f315e.jpg

I can relate to what you're saying.

While I was creating a template, I resize a few windows and removed several modules I wasn't using. However, I didn't touch Lenses and the Lenses setting is defaulted to None. I'm not exactly sure what's causing this.

In regards to using Cakewalk by BandLab, I am still stuck on Sonar Artist. Basically, it's all I need for an amature musician who doesn't need the bigger whistles and bells. To me, CbB seems like a larger footprint -- like Sonar, it dumps folders all over my hard drive. It requires an Internet connection to stay activated, and it requires a separate app to install add-ons. It seems a bit heavy for me.

That's beside the point. I'm simply stating my reason to possibly stick with Sonar.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone out there provide more insight about this bug?

In Sonar, the Note Duration setting keeps changing, although I set it to a specific length. It never stays as selected, so I have to either click a different note on the PRV of the desired length or set the Note Duration setting again, over and over. This is absolutely nutty! This doesn't happen with Cakewalk by BandLab, but for other reasons, I'm more comfortable with Sonar.

(Per Chappel's post, I've tried changing/saving Screensets and Lenses, but this doesn't resolve the problem.)

Does anyone know about this bug? Is there a way to direct this to Cakewalk tech support?

6 hours ago, Dave G said:

Can anyone out there provide more insight about this bug?

In Sonar, the Note Duration setting keeps changing, although I set it to a specific length. It never stays as selected, so I have to either click a different note on the PRV of the desired length or set the Note Duration setting again, over and over. This is absolutely nutty! This doesn't happen with Cakewalk by BandLab, but for other reasons, I'm more comfortable with Sonar.

(Per Chappel's post, I've tried changing/saving Screensets and Lenses, but this doesn't resolve the problem.)

Does anyone know about this bug? Is there a way to direct this to Cakewalk tech support?

If you insist on using Sonar Artist and you contact Cakewalk tech support regarding this (and any other issue), they will simply tell you to update to Cakewalk by Bandlab.

Sonar Artist is no longer supported and there will be no bug fixes for it.

The only thing I can think of is that you have "last touched" enabled on the note duration setting on the Tools Module.

Thank you all for your comments. Per my OCD, I experimented further with this issue and I made a small discovery. This Note Draw setting issue exists in Sonar Artist AND CbB.

REITERATING:

In drawing notes on the PRV, the Note Draw Duration setting does not stay intact as I think it should. This setting changes with every different note draw. This impedes my workflow, as I like to draw every note upward from a default 1/16th length, and have it remain as such. Either way, I wonder whether this is by design or a legit bug.

EXPERIMENT:

NEW PROJECT: In new projects in Sonar and CbB, the Note Draw setting changes with every different note draw -- even after the project file is saved. I haven't noticed any relation to changes of the interface/workspace, etc.

EXISTING PROJECTS: I have a selection of existing Sonar projects dating from 2013-2018. When drawing notes within these files, the Note Draw setting stays intact. Therefore, if I save one of those project files as a new template/project, that Note Draw setting stays intact thereafter, which I believe it should. (This, in part, is one element I like to have "stamped into" my project template.)

So it seems as though the Note Draw setting changes in new projects, but for some reason, for me, stays intact in older ones saved in Sonar.

SUMMARY:

This is no longer a question of this functionality in "Sonar vs. Cakewalk", as it exists in both in a very unclear criteria. Does this mean anything to anyone and do you know of any other variables involved? I hate to beat a dead horse, but this is a very significant anomaly I'd really like to clear up for myself.

Thank you again in advance. :)

9 hours ago, Dave G said:

Thank you all for your comments. Per my OCD, I experimented further with this issue and I made a small discovery. This Note Draw setting issue exists in Sonar Artist AND CbB.

REITERATING:

In drawing notes on the PRV, the Note Draw Duration setting does not stay intact as I think it should. This setting changes with every different note draw. This impedes my workflow, as I like to draw every note upward from a default 1/16th length, and have it remain as such. Either way, I wonder whether this is by design or a legit bug.

EXPERIMENT:

NEW PROJECT: In new projects in Sonar and CbB, the Note Draw setting changes with every different note draw -- even after the project file is saved. I haven't noticed any relation to changes of the interface/workspace, etc.

EXISTING PROJECTS: I have a selection of existing Sonar projects dating from 2013-2018. When drawing notes within these files, the Note Draw setting stays intact. Therefore, if I save one of those project files as a new template/project, that Note Draw setting stays intact thereafter, which I believe it should. (This, in part, is one element I like to have "stamped into" my project template.)

So it seems as though the Note Draw setting changes in new projects, but for some reason, for me, stays intact in older ones saved in Sonar.

SUMMARY:

This is no longer a question of this functionality in "Sonar vs. Cakewalk", as it exists in both in a very unclear criteria. Does this mean anything to anyone and do you know of any other variables involved? I hate to beat a dead horse, but this is a very significant anomaly I'd really like to clear up for myself.

Thank you again in advance. :)

Works great here, provided you take into account the "Last Touched" parameter. If it is on, every time you set  a new note duration by lengthening it, the "Note Draw Duration" automatically takes that value. If you want to select a previous value again you just need to click an existing note with that value. For me is faster than having to go to the top of the screen and having to click the Note Draw Duration buttons. With Last Touched off the selected value sticks perfectly here.

Edited by JoseC
typo