Cakewalk Core folders - Which ones to use?

winkpain

Question

I have found no fewer than four of the oft-mentioned and important "Cakewalk Core" folders on my machine in the following locations:

• C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core
  • C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core
  • C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core
  • C:\Cakewalk Content\Cakewalk Core

What are the differences and which should we be concerned with for importing/exporting/saving of presets, templates, key bindings and such?

The two at ...\ProgramData\  and ...\AppData\Roaming\  would seem to serve similar purposes but contain slightly different files, perhaps due to my own confusion in thinking (up to now) that there was only one "Core" folder and having at times chosen the "wrong" one.  Should these two be mirrors of each other?

6 answers to this question

The Cakewalk Reference Guide mentions the "Cakewalk Core" folder locations on p 1854.

It uses by default:

"C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core" for some files and

"C:\Cakewalk Content\Cakewalk Core" for others

On p. 1958

It mentions the following directory for Windows Media video profiles.

\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\WMV Profiles

On p. 74 

It mentions the following folder for custom toast messages

%APPDATA%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core

In addition there is a cakewalk core at

C:\Program Files\Cakewalk for the executables

On 3/29/2020 at 6:20 PM, reginaldStjohn said:

The Cakewalk Reference Guide mentions the "Cakewalk Core" folder locations on p 1854.

It uses by default:

"C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core" for some files and

"C:\Cakewalk Content\Cakewalk Core" for others

On p. 1958

It mentions the following directory for Windows Media video profiles.

\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\WMV Profiles

On p. 74 

It mentions the following folder for custom toast messages

%APPDATA%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core

In addition there is a cakewalk core at

C:\Program Files\Cakewalk for the executables

Yes thank you.  I guess mostly my question is currently concerning Key Bindings, which isn't mentioned in the default folder list.  And when exporting a custom bindings file, CW seems to default to, alternately , either C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core or C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core   When examined, these folders seem similar in content to each other with many of the same files and folders but not all, and as such it can get confusing where an exported bindings file is or "wants to be".

Anyone know?  Should these two folders mirror each other??

C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core contains a master set of files used to (re)populate the user directories %appdata%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core

Best leave the files in ProgramData alone.

CbB reads the data from user directories.

2 minutes ago, scook said:

C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core contains a master set of files used to (re)populate the user directories %appdata%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core

Best leave the files in ProgramData alone.

CbB reads the data from user directories.

Thanks.

I'll happily leave it alone. There are, however, files in there now that were placed there by mistakenly confusing it for the other Cakewalk Core in the user folder. Just best to leave those alone as well? 

I will prefer that user folder Core folder from now on.

Depending on how ProgramData was changed means the factory defaults may have been altered.

This would only be a problem if one needed to restore a user directory to the original factory defaults.

Worst case it may require uninstalling CbB, manually removing the ProgramData folder and reinstalling. Something I believe you have already done. It gets easier every time. :)

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, scook said:

Depending on how ProgramData was changed means the factory defaults may have been altered.

This would only be a problem if one needed to restore a user directory to the original factory defaults.

Worst case it may require uninstalling CbB, manually removing the ProgramData folder and reinstalling. Something I believe you have already done. It gets easier every time. :)

Yup!  😉

It is only these couple custom bindings files that got misplaced there. I have them copied and backed up elsewhere. I will leave the ProgramData folder well enough alone.

Thanks again!