Amadeus vs VSCO Pro

42 minutes ago, Michael A.D. said:

I can vouch for Amadeus - great sounds and easy to use. 

Don't know about VSCO (and it may be great!), but you would not be disappointed with Amadeus.

WOW! and answer to my post 😍 

Yeah, I think that I am going for Amadeus. The whole point is that, to me, it sounds better that EW SO and is only 13 gb on disk.

Amadeus is excellent for orchestra composition work. As you pointed out already the smaller size at 13gb makes it an excellent choice for those who have less drive space. I made a template for it . Over 140 instruments.  I haven't had the time to fully use yet with multiple instances of Kontakt all loaded. It remains to be seen how much stress using a lot of those sounds all at once might put on my  Intel 5820K 6 core cpu.  Since at least some of the reasoning behind this library is that it makes a great sketch pad for professionals, is lightweight and a nice set of sounds for the hobby composer it should spread pretty far on an average computer. TBH I made the templates in Studio One instead of Cakewalk mainly because SO has a better notation capability using Notion. The DAW should not really matter though. Cakewalk will output notation but doesn't offer as much editing capability and doesn't use a separate program for it.

There are a few small nits that pretty much apply to ANY similar library. The up close violins don't sound especially realistic in some mixes/situations. They still sound better than any soundfont player violin by miles. In a mix you probably couldn't tell. The full orchestra program portions of Amadeus make me want to play it for hours. Amazing programming IMHO.  In addition, you get choirs, a soloist, a pipe organ and even an electric guitar.

Here's something I made in it just diddling around-

Edited by Starise
  • Like 1