A Small Collage

Starise

Since our church isn't meeting locally and since I am tasked with the music for it I have been looking at "remote worship" solutions. Last week I simply posted myself in the studio playing tunes. This week I made a series of three videos with words and backgrounds. I am new to video production. In hindsight that last background almost reminds me of a 70's disco dance floor. 

I was under a small time line to get these composed and set up. The first song uses some parts from a track that I added strings to it and piano/vocals. The second track is all made from scratch as is the third. The last track stretches my vocal ranges a bit in the chorus. The 1st two are much easier to sing. In hindsight I should have dropped the key. I could do it but just barely and it borders of falsetto.

I hear little things in the mix in places I don't like. That always seems to be the case with anything I make though. We mix contemporary up with hymns so I shoot for a combination of older and more recent material. Any video/audio/composition recommendations are welcome. 

I thought about doing " When The Roll Is Called Up Yonder" but I was afraid people would be after me looking for toilet paper :)

Edited by Starise

I liked it - a good inspirational song - I enjoyed following the lyrics to your song in the video.

I thought your vocal was a bit too upfront in the mix - but maybe it's better that way.

I would have liked to hear the acoustic guitar more in the mix.

Regarding the second song - I enjoyed the lyrics.  The piano was very nice.

Regarding the third song - same comments - I enjoyed the lyrics.

Good job on all three videos.

Tim,
1st track
I hardly ever listen to Christian music but the ones I've heard have some catchy melodies and this one certainly does.
Couldn't help thinking that a soul on fire kinda means you went to that other place.  😁

2nd track
You mentioned you're going for a combination of contemporary music with hymns. This seems a little too far in the hymns range IMO.

3rd track
Voc is too up front.
Instruments might be a bit heavy on the reverb, but have to say reverb can pump up the emotion when listening to the lyrics.

Your excellent voc delivery comes out as being sincere in what you say.

On 3/30/2020 at 5:53 AM, Douglas Kirby said:

I liked it - a good inspirational song - I enjoyed following the lyrics to your song in the video.

I thought your vocal was a bit too upfront in the mix - but maybe it's better that way.

I would have liked to hear the acoustic guitar more in the mix.

Regarding the second song - I enjoyed the lyrics.  The piano was very nice.

Regarding the third song - same comments - I enjoyed the lyrics.

Good job on all three videos.

Thanks Douglas for theses helpful mixing comments. Thanks for listening!

On 3/30/2020 at 10:34 AM, daryl1968 said:

Great song and performances Tim - I really like your voice! I agree with Doug that the vocal is a little too loud in the mix 

Daryl, Thanks for coming round to comment and listen.

17 hours ago, bjornpdx said:

Tim,
1st track
I hardly ever listen to Christian music but the ones I've heard have some catchy melodies and this one certainly does.
Couldn't help thinking that a soul on fire kinda means you went to that other place.  😁

2nd track
You mentioned you're going for a combination of contemporary music with hymns. This seems a little too far in the hymns range IMO.

3rd track
Voc is too up front.
Instruments might be a bit heavy on the reverb, but have to say reverb can pump up the emotion when listening to the lyrics.

Your excellent voc delivery comes out as being sincere in what you say.

LOL. Yeah, I sort of thought those lyrics could be taken in different ways. It's a tough genre to pick for in having so many varied age groups.  This music should have meaning for the listeners. Much of the new Christian stuff doesn't always nail meanings down or one lyric can mean different things to different people. 

Thanks for listening and for your comments.