TASCAM 1608

KRISSSY STRINGZ

Question

Good afternoon CW forum. 

Does anyone have a set of instructions on how to set up a Tascam 1608 digital interface using the latest iteration of CWBBL under Windows 10.  I have been trying for about 2 weeks off and on and simply can't get it working.  It's not a defective unit by the way as I've swapped it once.

I have never come across something so complicated to set up and would be very grateful for any help available.  I have attached a couple of screenshots of the kind of messages I keep getting. 

Thanks in advance

Chris S

cwbbl setup.pdf

I assume you mean the 16x08.  I own and use a us 1641  which is almost identical. 

There's really nothing complicated they work like all interfaces. First go here and download the drivers and the manual.   

https://tascam.com/us/product/us-16x08/download

Install the latest driver for W10 

Make sure to follow the prompts carefully, you need to wait before plugging in the USB cable,, always use the same port afterwards. Use USB 2.

Open CbB and go to preferences and set your driver mode to ASIO. 

Make sure the Tascam is the only device checked and is your timing master 

Now the Tascam will show as your inputs and outputs 

1586542859_2019-02-03(1).png.b35b48ee6a491b8321a4fbd69885cc35.png1125791515_2019-02-03(2).png.8aa5684825b5067f6701c549b401a758.png2019-02-03.png.1fc7c07a221a0ec6b8c58b747ed79be6.png

I just removed my 16x08 from service. The latest Win10 version (1809) blew up the driver and my Internet speed (hard to figure that one!). I pulled my old PreSonus AudioBox 44VSL out of the closet (where it went after the first Win10 release killed the VSL driver), installed the latest UC driver (no VSL support), crossed my fingers and rebooted. Everything worked great. Nice to have an audio interface back. At least the 16x08 can be used as a simple 8 mic preamp box when no USB connection is present.

Unless or until Tascam update the 16x08 driver, my guess is that your struggles will continue. Sorry for the bad news.

I have a Tascam US 20 x 20.  In addition to the excellent suggestions by Cactus Music, here is what I find helpful:  Always turn the Tascam on first and wait until it is done loading.  If the 20 x 20 is on after CbBl, it sometimes gives me fits.

Also, I remember a post from last year in the old forum - the issue with the 16 x08 turned out to be Windows mic permissions (scroll to the  bottom):

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Cakewalk-wont-grab-input-from-Tascam-US16x08-m3761002.aspx

On 2/3/2019 at 3:22 PM, Cactus Music said:

I assume you mean the 16x08.  I own and use a us 1641  which is almost identical. 

There's really nothing complicated they work like all interfaces. First go here and download the drivers and the manual.   

https://tascam.com/us/product/us-16x08/download

Install the latest driver for W10 

Make sure to follow the prompts carefully, you need to wait before plugging in the USB cable,, always use the same port afterwards. Use USB 2.

Open CbB and go to preferences and set your driver mode to ASIO. 

Make sure the Tascam is the only device checked and is your timing master 

Now the Tascam will show as your inputs and outputs 

1586542859_2019-02-03(1).png.b35b48ee6a491b8321a4fbd69885cc35.png1125791515_2019-02-03(2).png.8aa5684825b5067f6701c549b401a758.png2019-02-03.png.1fc7c07a221a0ec6b8c58b747ed79be6.png

Thank you for your reply Cactus.  I've tried all that many times, including uninstalling, re-installing, etc.  I'm on my second unit, the first having been sent back to GAK as I assumed it was defective.  No, the problem is deep within my system somewhere, Windows, chipset, etc.  Cakewlak doesn't recognise the Asio driver yet windows does.  The CW Sonar User Group have suggestd it might be an aud.ini file issue. 

On 2/3/2019 at 7:08 PM, aether.roots said:

I have a Tascam US 20 x 20.  In addition to the excellent suggestions by Cactus Music, here is what I find helpful:  Always turn the Tascam on first and wait until it is done loading.  If the 20 x 20 is on after CbBl, it sometimes gives me fits.

Also, I remember a post from last year in the old forum - the issue with the 16 x08 turned out to be Windows mic permissions (scroll to the  bottom):

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Cakewalk-wont-grab-input-from-Tascam-US16x08-m3761002.aspx

Thank you for the reply Aether.  I have just checked the mic settings and tried the 'turn it on first' approach: nada.  It's not something simple imo.  I have a cheapo Behringer interface that works perfectly with CW, but it's not Asio. 

On 2/3/2019 at 4:18 PM, John Maar said:

I just removed my 16x08 from service. The latest Win10 version (1809) blew up the driver and my Internet speed (hard to figure that one!). I pulled my old PreSonus AudioBox 44VSL out of the closet (where it went after the first Win10 release killed the VSL driver), installed the latest UC driver (no VSL support), crossed my fingers and rebooted. Everything worked great. Nice to have an audio interface back. At least the 16x08 can be used as a simple 8 mic preamp box when no USB connection is present.

Unless or until Tascam update the 16x08 driver, my guess is that your struggles will continue. Sorry for the bad news.

Thanks for your reply John.  I have contacted Tascam and someone has actually replied.  By the way, a search for Tascam in the TEAC UK search box throws up nothing!  Wtf is that about?  My hope is that I get an actual person who is prepared to help me set it up: probably remotely, but I'm equally happy if the guy or guyess wants to come round to my house: fingers and legs crossed.  I must confess, I have had a problem in the past with a Boss BR800 that I was using as an interface that suddenly stopped being recognised by Windows.  I think it is my system being honest.  My mate took the Tascam to his house to try it yesterday, plugged it in and it worked fine. 

I would try borrowing a different Interface from a friend or music store and see what happens. It's certainly no fun wasting time with these sort of issues.

I had nothing but trouble with a M Audio interface and I thought it was my system. I ordered the Tascam and it had issues at first but they updated the drivers and it's worked perfectly since.

2 hours ago, Chuck E Baby said:

...Also make sure when installing drivers to always plug in to the same USB port, don't go switching ports every time.

Well... sure. But Windows is Windows and sometimes usb-ports stop to respond. Then you have to switch port to get Windows to load its usb drivers and work again.

50 minutes ago, Kurre said:

But Windows is Windows and sometimes usb-ports stop to respond. Then you have to switch port to get Windows to load its usb drivers and work again.

My USB ports have never failed to respond, that could be a hardware or device issue.

What im referring to is when you install ASIO drivers for a device, you are prompt to choose a port and plug in the device. This same port must be honored in the future when plugging that device in.

5 hours ago, Chuck E Baby said:

Make sure your plugging the Tascam in to a USB 2 port and not a USB 3 port.

Also make sure when installing drivers to always plug in to the same USB port, don't go switching ports every time.

Thanks Chuck.  It is quite possible that I failed to follow the procedure you set about above and that is what triggered the initial problem; bearing in mind that the unit worked initially. 

However, I have been much more careful with the new device, unistalling the drivers, reinstalling,   re-booting,  etc.  Yet it still refuses to work in CWBBL.  However, it works in Windows Media Player , etc.

Would it be an idea to uninstalled my USB drivers and the re-install?   Could it be an Anti virus thing perhaps.  Frankly, I'might stunped  

Just now, KRISSSY STRINGZ said:

Thanks Chuck.  It is quite possible that I failed to follow the procedure you set about above and that is what triggered the initial problem; bearing in mind that the unit worked initially. 

However, I have been much more careful with the new device, unistalling the drivers, reinstalling,   re-booting,  etc.  Yet it still refuses to work in CWBBL.  However, it works in Windows Media Player , etc.

Would it be an idea to uninstalled my USB drivers and the re-install?   Could it be an Anti virus thing perhaps.  Frankly, I'might stunped  

Apologies for the appalling auto type errors above.  

I've plugged my USB device in to the wrong port before (this is how I know :)). I speak from my own experiences/mistakes.

It WILL work sometimes but stability is a huge factor. Its simply unstable. IE - Crashes, drop outs, freezes.

I would uninstall the driver then continuously use the same USB 2 port.

34 minutes ago, KRISSSY STRINGZ said:

Yeah mate.  I'very done all that.  Just uninstalling and reinstalling the usb drivers now.  

One thing I overlooked once (and I felt like a fool) was the USB Cable itself. It would work but intermittingly.

I also had a problem with a bad USB port once (I bent it, pinning a device cable). Trust me I've been through almost every thing in the book when it comes to this department so hang in there and we can try to problem solve it.