Building a new workstation PC and could use feedback

Jay Soren

Hi all,

I am planning on building a new production and design workstation PC and wanted to get some feedback from some of the more experienced members here on the forum.

Here's my current build

At this point I am planning on going with Intel (i9-9900KF) but after reading some threads on this forum about AMD's threadripper offerings I am starting to question my own judgement. The PC will  be used for audio work, but I also do UI design in Photoshop CC and XD. I also saw in another thread that Jim Roseberry mentioned that the Gigabyte AORUS boards won't let you disable onboard audio and WiFi. I'm worried my motherboard choice might be poor.

My biggest concern is storage. I have upwards of 10TB of Kontakt libraries and instruments and I'm not completely sure what the best storage configuration would be. Right now I have two NVMe 2TB drives in the build, but apparantly Kontakt loading doesn't benefit from NVMe so I'm thinking of dropping the second NVMe drive. 

I'm just a bit overwhelmed. I'd really appreciate any kind of advice on how to modify or optimize my build. 

Thanks much

Edit: Here's a thread from VI Control that explains why Kontakt loading performance doesn't improve much with NVMe

Edited by Jay Soren
Added VI Control Link

I'm in the same situation.  I have a thread out here now about the AMD 3000 series which, according to a bunch of geek Youtube sites I've visited, kickeds Intel's booty.  I'm slightly concerned about some of my legacy hardware working with the new AMD stuff (RME MultiFace II that requires a PCI slot) but the world won't end if that's the case.  I'm using an RME UFX that uses USB.  

23 minutes ago, Toddskins said:

No help, Jay, but who told you that Kontakt does not benefit from the fast NVMe drive?  Why would Kontakt not benefit from it?

Nevermind.  I see your other thread where you got that info.

I just added a link to the VI Control thread that explains why NVMe doesn't improve Kontakt loading times much, it's a good read!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sacalait said:

I'm in the same situation.  I have a thread out here now about the AMD 3000 series which, according to a bunch of geek Youtube sites I've visited, kickeds Intel's booty.  I'm slightly concerned about some of my legacy hardware working with the new AMD stuff (RME MultiFace II that requires a PCI slot) but the world won't end if that's the case.  I'm using an RME UFX that uses USB.  

Yup.  Specifically the Ryzen 9 3900X looks like a viable alternative to the i9-9900K with 12 cores rather than 8. But the 9900K has a faster clock speed and performs better on single core tasks from what I understand. I'm also using RME hardware but I've got their HDSPe AIO PCIe card. I have no idea if it works well with AMD but I suspect it should. I haven't seen any complaints in the RME forums at least.