Colors of MIDI notes in each track

Paul DeRocco

When I create a new MIDI track, I get a different color for the notes in the track, and in PRV. If I duplicate a track, then I get the same color. I often create a new track by duplicating an existing one. Is there a way to change the colors of all the notes in a particular track?

Edit->Preferences->Customization->Colors->MIDI Tracks shows a bunch of track colors based on the last digit of the track number. Fiddling with them changes the palette of colors, but doesn't change which palette entries each track refers to. I'd be satisified if I could just reset the tracks to the colors they should normally have based on their track numbers.

Use the Inspector.  I always go into the Inspector and change the foreground and background colours of all my track clips so that I can more quickly identify them, drums/percussion=red with white text, bass=brown/yellow, pianos=blue/white, and so on. 

HI:)

@Skyline_UK

I noticed that, if "Use track colors" is activated only the foreground is colored, not the clips. Is it the same for you? 

As soon as I change the background, background and foreground are changed to track colors.

This is what "Use track colors" should do in my mind....

Thanks,

Bassman.

Thanks for the advice. I found the combo that works. If I select a track color in the inspector, it overrides the default for the note foreground color. But it also changes the background color for the inspector and the track controls, which is garish and distracting. But if I turn off the "Show strip colors" option in Edit->Preferences->Customization->Colors, then I only see the color on the notes, and in a little stripe to the left of the track controls, which is fine.

@Heinz Hupfer

I have 2020.01 build 28, 64-bit.

The only backgrounds that are colored are in the track pane (at least the way my screen is configured, which is pretty close to the default screenset 5), and they light up when that checkbox is checked. I would expect that "Show strip colors" would show some colors somewhere when it's turned on, not when it's turned off.

• 2 years later...

I actually have a question - not about the background or strip colors, but the midi notes themselves being different colors.

Mostly they are blue. Sometimes they are grey.

Now I'm editing a track where they are tan (dark tan when note is selected) and the behavior of the soft synth (Modo Bass) is a little suspicious.

I know there must be a purpose but I don't know why. Any thoughts?

I've always colored my tracks. I always use the same color for each instrument so it's easy to see what is in focus. If I see blue I know it's the bass track. 

I have a couple of project templates that have all the buses and each is colored to represent my instruments. When I insert a new track I always choose the correct bus and the track will automatically be colored correctly. And of course all track templates are already colored and will automatically use the correct bus because I keep things exactly the same for 90% of my songs.  

So when I stack up different tracks in PVR I always know which track is in focus by it's color. I see purple, it's the piano etc. Certain themes are certainly ugly I'm using one of Mr Cooks custom themes,  Tuncury Light Green and its very easy on the eyes. There's a sub form with themes.