SOLVED - Softube Console 1 midi trouble

Rene Esmark

Hello,

I have installed Softube Console 1 on my Lenovo ThinkCentre M710Q. I want to use it in Cakewalk, but I keep getting "There is not enough memory availble for this task" every time I try to check Console 1´s as a mididevice under Preference. 

My computer is running fine with Win 10 and Cakewalk by Bandlab - all updated. My audiointerface is SPL Crimson 3.

Du you have any idea have I can solve this problem?

Best regards

René 

Edited by Rene Esmark

In my experience (admittedly limited) that message usually means the device is being used by other software.  There might be other causes, but I have had that enough times to explore that possibility first.

This is what my message looks like when it happens.

image.png.ff140c3964682a824c190fd1d6b8d6b9.png

Update: This page seems to say that Cakewalk by Bandlab is supported.  There are a number of Q & As that that address installation, possible issues, etc. Maybe the section that tells you to insert the plug-in on tracks would be helpful.  Just a guess, but maybe you get the device failure issue because the software is controlling the controller and you need to use their software as a plug-in?

100% speculation on my part, but as long as I was curious and looked at the Console, I thought I'd share my initial observations.  I might be right or not; so feel free to ignore my speculations.

Edited by User 905133
to add some thoughts after reading the manufacturer's product information; to add an image that might be relevant

Hi,

Thanks for your answer. I have read a lot about Console 1 before I bought it, and it shoud work very well with Cakewalk by Bandlab. The SS L emulation sounds great and the hardware is nice and solid. Too bad I can´t get it to work. I get the same message as  you do: 

image.png.f2723cc83156d36804860323d2b9816f.png

I have tried to:

1. Remove and reinstall Console 1
  2. Change USB cable
  3. Use a different USB connection - no HUB
  4. Disconnect other MIDI equipment
  5. Looking for conflicts in the device manager

... but no luck ...

My setup is:

Lenovo Thinkcentre M710Q, Intel Core i5-7400T CPU 2.40 GHz, 8 GB Ram, 250 GB Harddisk SSD, 500 GB Harddisk SSD

Windows 10 Pro, 1909 build 18363.752

Cakewalk by Bandlab 2020.01 (Build 28, 64 bit)

SPL Crimson 3, Control Panel 2.9.86

5 hours ago, Rene Esmark said:

I have tried to:

1. Remove and reinstall Console 1
  2. Change USB cable
  3. Use a different USB connection - no HUB
  4. Disconnect other MIDI equipment
  5. Looking for conflicts in the device manager

... but no luck ...

Does the Console plug-in work when inserted into a track without the device being checked in Cakewalk's Preferences > MIDI Devices?

From reading the website documentation (yesterday and again just now in the manual), I got the impression (though I could be misreading it), that the Console is designed to be used as a plug-in, not as a midi in/out device.

Setting Up Your First Console 1 Session (page 8 of the Console 1's 89-page pdf)

When you have gone through the registration process on Softube’s web site, you are ready to set up your basic Console 1 session. You may want to save this as a template session in your DAW, so you will not have to do this for every new piece of music you start working on. Please refer to your DAW’s manual on how to save a template session, as well as any other steps mentioned below that refer to actions in your DAW.

1. Connect the Console 1 hardware to an unoccupied USB port on your computer. The Softube logo in your computer’s control panel will turn from grey to black.

2. Launch your preferred digital audio workstation (DAW) application. Console 1 runs with any host that supports VST2, VST3, AAX and Audio Units plug-in formats.

3. Launch an empty session in your DAW.

4. Insert the Console 1 plug-in on as many tracks as you like. We recommend inserting it on all single tracks, aux channels and buses.

The audio on any track where you have inserted the Console 1 plug-in will now be routed into the Console 1 system and back to the same DAW channel. See next section for setting the correct track name and number.

Again, I have no experience with the device, but to me it sounds like the plug-in is both routing the audio and handling the midi i/o via usb.

There also seems to be a way to disable DAW Integration, but the on/off setting appears to be in the plug-in.

Disabling DAW Integration

It is possible to turn off the DAW integration features, even if we don’t recommend it. Not all of these features are available in all DAWs. You do this by clicking Setup in the plug-in window (not in the On-Screen Display!) These settings are global and will affect all instances of the plug-in in all DAWs.

Again, 100% speculation on my part, but maybe . . . .

Edited by User 905133
to add a section from the manual.

Hello.  I hope that this information will help:

I was lead here by a comment on my post from last night on the Hardware forum category.  I have used the console 1 with Cakewalk without issue.  I took a look at my settings and found that while the Console 1 is listed under my Midi IN and OUT sections of preferences, I have neither of them checked.  As far as I know, the Console 1 has no midi function per se.  

Can you just uncheck those in your preferences, add the plugin to the insert on a track, then use the hardware "on" button in the upper left after activating that channel in the mixer/track view and see if it works?  I didn't have an issue with it showing up properly.  Never really thought to even look at the Midi options for it! :)

Does that help at all?

• Thanks 1

Hi,

Thank you both of you for your inputs 🙂 My problem is now solved. I was using the standard version af the Console 1´s VST - not the VST 3. When I change to the VST 3, the hardware works as expected with tracknames and control over volume, pan, sole and mute. Blades you are right: The Midi IN and OUT is not needed and has no function. The error was all mine. The Console 1 is a great product. 

Have a nice day!

Best regards

René

• Like 1