How do I install Cakewalk to a different drive?

Jun Kwan

Question

My laptop has a 256 GB SSD (C-drive), and I recently added a 1 TB HDD for extra storage (D-drive). I had tried to move Cakewalk to D-drive by these methods, each resulting in some issues and errors when trying to boot up the app:

• "Move to" function in File Explorer for EVERY folder that pertained to Cakewalk (Programs, x86, Cakewalk Content, Projects, AppData, Common Files, etc...)
  • SteamMover app
  • Going to settings and changing the download and save location in my PC to D-drive

Everytime I download the Bandlab Assistant, and then Cakewalk, I look in advanced settings for download and it's always on C-Drive. Additionally, the "Browse" button is greyed out.

I know the third option works for sure because I was able to make my games go to D-Drive that way. (had to uninstall/reinstall, but they appeared in D)

I just want to have space in my SSD. There is a whole TB for this music app, and yet it wants to be in my C-Drive.

Anyone have a solution or suggestions?

9 answers to this question

The software should be installed on the system drive.

Even if you do choose to install on a different drive some parts of CbB must be installed on the system drive.

Once installed a large portion of the installation "C:\Cakewalk Content" may be moved easily using a directory junction. For example, to relocate this to the D drive:

1) Move "C:\Cakewalk Content" to D:\ using Windows Explorer

2) Start a command shell running as administrator and type

mklink /j "C:\Cakewalk Content" "D:\Cakewalk Content"

Do the same with "C:\Cakewalk Projects"

Using directory junctions to move Cakewalk Content and Projects folders eliminate the need to modify folder locations in CbB preferences.

If you absolutely must install as much as possible on a drive other than C (this really means you have a bigger problem than installing CbB) you will need to perform a clean install of CbB to restore the file prompts in the CbB installer.

On 3/27/2020 at 4:32 PM, scook said:

Even if you do choose to install on a different drive some parts of CbB must be installed on the system drive.

Once installed a large portion of the installation "C:\Cakewalk Content" may be moved easily using a directory junction. For example, to relocate this to the D drive:

Using directory junctions to move Cakewalk Content and Projects folders eliminate the need to modify folder locations in CbB preferences.

If you absolutely must install as much as possible on a drive other than C (this really means you have a bigger problem than installing CbB) you will need to perform a clean install of CbB to restore the file prompts in the CbB installer.

No he doesn't have problems, you do *****. Some people don't like to fill up their system drive with trash. And you still didn't answer the *****ing question.

• Meh 3

48 minutes ago, Johnnie said:

No he doesn't have problems, you do *****. Some people don't like to fill up their system drive with trash. And you still didn't answer the *****ing question.

If you don't like the reply, that's OK but there is no need to go off on it this way.

The initial install  has the options to specify where parts of the application may be installed.

That said, some parts will install on the system drive no matter what.

This is why I go into detail about directory junctions. They work regardless of where the files are installed, are much safer than alternatives such as messing with the registry and in many cases are better than providing any program installer with alternate locations.

If this is not satisfactory log a feature request here.

55 minutes ago, Johnnie said:

Wow. You created a whole account just for that nasty little piece of trolling trash?

Edited by bdickens
  • Like 1

On 3/27/2020 at 4:32 PM, scook said:

Hi Scook,

Thanks for the tip!  I have successfully moved the Cakewalk Content & Cakewalk Project folders to my external drive, and revised the mapping in preferences per your instructions.   The projects are intact.  However, when I went to install a Cakewalk update, I received an error message regarding a missing Cakewalk Core folder (one of the sub folders under "Cakewalk Content").  See screen shots for the error message.   How can I inform the Cakewalk updates to point to the new external drive?   

Can't find cakewalk core error Capture.JPG

Please correct the problem error msgCapture.JPG

Installing software on external drives is a bad idea.

If the directory junction for "C:\Cakewalk Content" was made correctly and "C:\Cakewalk Content" opens as expected, the error message may mean there is a permissions issue creating folders on the external drive.

Not sure what this means

6 minutes ago, Rtunes said:

revised the mapping in preferences per your instructions.

Directory junctions  in the post you quoted eliminates the need to change preferences in CbB.

FYI. I have a 250 GB SSD system drive on my main Daw computer. I have probably 30 different software suites all on C drive. it’s a little more than  1/2 full most of the time. I don’t store any data like pictures, music or movies on the C drive. Most of my VST libraries are on the 1 TB drive. But all of Cakewalks stuff is still on C drive. 

I store all my data on my 1 TB data drives.
For Cakewalk I installed a second 250 GB SSD drive just for projects and Wave files. I found using the 1TB HHD was bogging things down. Doesn’t matter for samples as they load into RAM. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1

The thread is a bit older, but I want to give a feedback using my own experiences. Recently I bought a new computer. Since I use it for various purposes - work and hobby - I wanted to keep things as separated as possible. So I installed Cakewalk to the second internal SSD and not to the system drive. Interesting: all works as intended. If I want to use the SI-Instrument-Suite Cakewalk (or any other DAW) has to be started as an explicit admin (right click > start as administrator) even if I work as an user with admin rights. If I do so all my installed DAWs (Ableton live intro, Reaper and Cakewalk) work together with SI-Instruments. If I start as usual the SI-Instruments demand an registration or a start as admin and refuse the sound output.

If you can live without the SI-Instrument-Suite - which by the way is installed to the C:\Program Files-Folder without any option (what I personally do not like at all) - you can use any path you like to install Cakewalk by Bandlab. Keep in mind, that the partition you choose should be locally registered and not on an external drive.

The other folders will be installed on the same drive as CbB. If you changed the standard VST-Folder within the registry, the VST-Plugins will be installed there automatically.

To try it out you have to deinstall Cakewalk by Bandlab (and all extensions if you want them to another drive). Then You have to clean the registry from all Cakewalk associated entries. (Be carefull - do that better only if you know what you do.) There are several ways to deinstall windows software - chose the one you like or use the following "How to ..." given to me by the support team (I could not descibe it better):

--- Start of the "how to ..." ---

To completely remove Cakewalk by BandLab from your computer and reinstall it, follow the steps below.

_Please note that this will remove any effects presets and key bindings you may have made in Cakewalk by BandLab. You can back these up separately if you like, using Utilities menu > Cakewalk Plug-in Manager, Edit > Preferences > Customization – Keyboard Shortcuts and Edit > Preferences > Customization – Colors._

1) **Uninstall Cakewalk by BandLab**. This is normally done within the BandLab Assistant app. Go to BandLab Assistant > Apps > Cakewalk by BandLab, click on the arrow on the right side of the tab and select **Uninstall**. This will not remove any of your plug-ins, project files or audio data.

2) After the uninstallation completes, open the **Run Prompt**. In Windows 7, 8, 10, and 11, open the Run Prompt by holding down the “Windows” key and pressing “R” on the keyboard.

3) At the Prompt, type **regedit** and click **[OK]**.

4) **Click [Yes]** if asked to allow the program to make changes to your computer.

**Important**_**:** When you access the Registry Editor,_ **create a backup** _by going to File > Export. In the Export Registry File window that comes up, make sure “Export range” is set to “All” and that “Save as type” is set to “Registration Files (*.reg)”. It is very important to create a backup of your registry because if you accidentally delete a registry key there is no undo function. You can, however, double-click on the Registry backup you made above to re-import your registry keys if you make any mistakes. You must re-import your backup (if needed) before restarting your computer._

5) **Delete the following Registry keys**: If you do not have one of the Registry keys below, simply proceed to the next one on the list.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cakewalk Music Software\Cakewalk\ Core

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cakewalk Music Software\Cakewalk\ Core HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Cakewalk Music Software\Cakewalk\ Core

6) Open the **Run Prompt** again.

7) Copy and paste **%appdata%\Cakewalk** into the prompt and click **[OK]**. On Windows 7, 8, 10, and 11, the “AppData\Roaming\Cakewalk” folder will open.

8) Right-click on the **Cakewalk Core** folder and choose “Delete.”

9) **Delete the contents** of the following directory: C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core

10) At this point, follow the **link** below to install the latest version of Cakewalk by BandLab: https://downloads.bandlab.com/cakewalk/setup/CakewalkSetup.exe?d=20220627

--- End of the "How to ..." ---

I hope this helps anybody who suffers install problems - or like me a configuration problem wich prevented CbB from starting - or asks if it is possible to install CbB to another than the system drive. In summary: Yes, it is.