how to move notes outside of beats

Lucy

Question

Hi, I'm new to Cakewalk.

I've noticed that when i record through MIDI keyboard and i wish to edit a note that's been played out of time through piano roll, the notes (shown as lines) tend to like to stick to each beat rather than allowing me to simply drag it wherever i want it. I can usually hear exactly where i want a note to fall just by listening, and looking at the playback, but then the software won't allow me to drag it to that exact place.  It doesn't sound quite right when it's exactly on the beat because the rest of the notes have their own sort of... flow.

Is there a way to allow for more flexibility in terms of dragging notes, for example decreasing the fractions by which a note can be dragged/ not weighting them towards the beats?

thanks!

Lucy

3 answers to this question

14 minutes ago, Lucy said:

Hi, I'm new to Cakewalk.

I've noticed that when i record through MIDI keyboard and i wish to edit a note that's been played out of time through piano roll, the notes (shown as lines) tend to like to stick to each beat rather than allowing me to simply drag it wherever i want it. I can usually hear exactly where i want a note to fall just by listening, and looking at the playback, but then the software won't allow me to drag it to that exact place.  It doesn't sound quite right when it's exactly on the beat because the rest of the notes have their own sort of... flow.

Is there a way to allow for more flexibility in terms of dragging notes, for example decreasing the fractions by which a note can be dragged/ not weighting them towards the beats?

You can either turn Snap off, or use a smaller note subdivision in Snap, either globally or in the PRV.  Enabling Snap in the PRV will override the global Snap setting. Turning Snap off in the Control Bar also disables it in the PRV.

You can enable/disable Snap and pick the notes you want notes to snap to in the Control Bar.

763767611_Snap-Global.jpg.1c0ab1802eea08ef5dfa80ca6fea517c.jpg

You can enable/disable  Snap in the PRV.

843106106_Snap-PRV.thumb.jpg.77069f22c38b730e24437c0a6b27dc90.jpg

• Like 1