Road to Ruin

Michael Fogarty

here is a unique one I feel.  All recorded in my one room Home Studio. Local Tokyo musicians.

Mike Marrington -drums

Simon Koperu -bass

Aimee Blackschleger -composition, vocal

Michael Fogarty -production/arrangement/back-ups/keys

Song Il -violin

Tama Tsuboi -nylon guitar

Edited by Michael Fogarty
forgot link
  • Like 2

Such a brilliant song and recording, kudos to all involved with this, because it really comes across as a total team effort . . . Aimee's vocals are superb. I like that it is upbeat, yet somewhat dark (lyrically) all at the same time. The casting of the guitar and the violin add such depth to the overall idea, well arranged I think.

It's such an emotional journey as presented, most inspiring. Thank you.

14 hours ago, AndyB01 said:

Great track - I'd like to have heard the violin share more airtime with the nylon guitar but  that's  just the guitarist in me - the vox are absolutely top drawer. Andy

Andy, I totally agree with you. In this particular production however the violinist is the one with the chops.

Wow. the whole thing.

How about the bgv's? killer.

for me the violin was my least favorite part. di'd? with a piezo? a little shrill. But to each their own. Was it mic'd? I think going to all this trouble to make every other instrument so friggin great, with a great mix, you for sure would have real mic'd the violin.  The violin to me sounds a bit shrill and too dry. Oh well. Who cares what I think. Great chops on the violin, without question.

Such a great mix played with a lot of passion. Perfect!

cheers,

-Tom

On 3/30/2020 at 7:15 AM, emeraldsoul said:

Wow. the whole thing.

How about the bgv's? killer.

for me the violin was my least favorite part. di'd? with a piezo? a little shrill. But to each their own. Was it mic'd? I think going to all this trouble to make every other instrument so friggin great, with a great mix, you for sure would have real mic'd the violin.  The violin to me sounds a bit shrill and too dry. Oh well. Who cares what I think. Great chops on the violin, without question.

Such a great mix played with a lot of passion. Perfect!

cheers,

-Tom

I care what you think. Yes, it was an AKG tube mic. The power with which one has to play to create that much excitement can tend to cause it to be a bit raw sounding maybe? As for dry, yes, that would be a preference. The song is called Road to Ruin so didn't want anything to sound too posh#plush#. Another thing could also be, the CD release was moved a week closer suddenly and I had one day to mix 10 songs. The mastering was also rushed, and yes, I didn't care for the mastering job. A friend of the artists (and mine) did it quickly. Too bright, brittle. I was actually quite upset to have done all this work and have him over treble-ize (word) it. The acoustic guitars (and of course violin, lead vocal) kind of took a beating, and my keyboard parts kind of fell into the background,  Glad you liked the rest. I can send it to you to remix if you would fancy it. Want to give it a go? I know my forte is tracking, composition, keys, backups, arranging. 

Edited by Michael Fogarty

The vocalist is excellent as is the whole production but I agree with Tom above about the violin; it does seem a bit shrill.  In fact to me the violin just didn't seem to fit in with the song. And that's probably because I'm not accustomed to hearing them so up-front outside of a symphony (except for fiddle in country music). Not taking anything away from the violinist who certainly has the chops as you said.

So, just one person's take on it FWIW