A cover I did.

Anders Madsen

Your version of this is just great. I think it all hangs on the vocal, and your voice is quite good!

Just some opinions from random internet guy: 1) Get to the piano/drums a verse earlier. It's very powerful when they come in, why make people wait?  2) There is an autofocus thing going on with your camera, it's not timed to the beat, and it's distracting and detracts     3) Your visual presentation is great! ( knit cap, glasses, darklit in  studio - it looks good!) but the video over the course of its run time is too static. What about some cutaways with some slow dissolve transitions to some nice clips that support the mood? River flowing, a clock tower, dolphins in space - any video or even motion images that support your mood? Seriously, probably not dolphins in space.

Your voice is I think perfect for this stripped down version, and tonally how you've captured the guitar is very pro sounding to my ears. The other instruments are great as well. Just take the video itself to version 2.0 . . . 

I really liked it.

cheers,

-Tom

• Thanks 1

Very good observations there, random internet guy! :)
I totally agree with you, and I have no excuses. Those thoughts have crossed my mind, but I ignored them. (Well except for the dolphins)  :D
Should not have. I simly forgot to set the camera gear in manual mode.

About the guitar track. That Martin have recently started to sound very good.
I have struggled to get a natural sound, but now the guitar grew on me, I kinda didn't care so much.
That might have done something with the technique. Also I did use one mic only as opposed to earlier times when I was very "high end" minded. Using two mics, and what was actually restrictions in guitar positioning.

One Neumann TLM 102 on guitar. Røde K2 on vocals. 
-No reflexion filter. In fact. It's for sale. :)

Wow, this hit me just right this evening.  Outstanding.

Edit: I checked out the original, which I hadn't heard before. I have to say, you've really brought out the melody, and I love your arrangement.

Edited by James G
  • Thanks 1

I've never heard of the original or the artist, but this is coming across very well indeed on the lappy speakers, which is something I never seem able to manage to do. As has been mentioned the vid is rather distracting because of the constant re-focusing, but other than that it's all good. In fact I could go as far to say as it's the best thing I've heard in these parts in a long while.

• Like 1

Hi,

I never heard the original version of this, but this is absolutely FANTASTIC!😀

The intimate acoustic beginning section reminded me of early Neil Young, and then when everything kicked in the entire song blew me away!

The instrumental performances were excellent, you have an absolutely amazing voice, the vocals and harmonies were stellar, and the mix was totally pro and radio-ready.

I also listened to your cover of "Wild Horses" on your YT channel, and that was also excellent.👍

Dynamite work on this, really great stuff!🙂

Best Wishes,
Bob

• Like 1

I really like this - completely unaware of the artist.  I see a number of folks putting their tunes (covers) out here like this , with their DAW videos along with the audio.  I want to do this, but, "good god" I have enough trouble getting the parts down most of the time, I don't know how I'd manage a video to go with it.

I like it all around.  Nice recording, super clean, well-played.  And I like the tune, so kudos to the original artist!

(Check out my new cover - about to post)...

• Like 1

Thanks, Blades!
I often capture video as I record. I used to rely on the camera mic, but that would require me to enable the speakers to capture the sound into camera.
-Feedback!   :)
-Now I'm using one of four headphone outputs directly into camera, and film during some of the performances. (Or mime.)
This way I can syncronize movie to the exported sound from Cakewalk. 
I use Adobe Premiere Pro to edit and syncronize sound/film, and mute the film sound track, leaving Cakewalk-export as sound source.
All in all: it's quite a hassle.   :D