Kontakt vs TX16Wx

Does anyone tried TX16Wx pro? How is compared to Kontakt?

I have to say that I don't like the NI monopoly in the sampled instruments world and I am looking for an alternative. Kontakt is the only product of NI that I use and I only do it because of the third party products developed for it.

Edited by Feral State Sound

Well, Kontakt is the king daddy in the market, with EastWest Play trailing a bit, but also good, but the EastWest sample libraries can get pretty pricey.

The above being said, I also have TX16WX, and it is really a solid sample engine, as well, and you can't beat free.  I have not tried their commercial Pro version, but I can vouch for them putting together a quality product, even with their free version.

I do not know how extensive the libraries are for TX*, though, but why not give their free version a whirl, and see how you like it?  That's why it is there, and lots and lots of folks use one or the other flavors of it, quite happily, from what I have seen. 

Bob Bone

• Like 1

I would say TX if you just want to craft your own sample libraries.  It's a good sampler engine. But as far as I know there is not really a  marketplace for pre-made TX sample libraries.

Kontakt has many NI, commercial, and free 3rd party pre-made  libraries.

Edited by abacab

5 hours ago, abacab said:

I would say TX if you just want to craft your own sample libraries.  It's a good sampler engine. But as far as I know there is not really a  marketplace for pre-made TX sample libraries.

Kontakt has many NI, commercial, and free 3rd party pre-made  libraries.

Yup - that reminds me, I wanted to put together a list of the free libraries I have encountered, for Kontakt, in my travels around the web - I do not have enough Dropbox space to hold them all, for folks to come download them, however, I am thinking that if I post the list of the libraries, folks could shoot me a private message with which ones they wanted, along with some kind of email address, and I could upload smaller batches of them to Dropbox and share them with the supplied email address.

SO - later tonight, I will post that list - I think I will do it as a separate thread, but will post here when I get that posted, so people can peruse my list and let me know which libs they want.  Many of them are quite good.  :)

Bob Bone

As someone who doesn't own Kontakt, who runs his home studio hobby on a shoestring budget, the big difference is that libraries created with/for TX16Wx aren't proprietary.

Just something to consider: proprietary format vs. open. It limits the audience, or user base or whatever of people who can enjoy your libraries.

I think only the paid version of  TX16Wx is comparable with Kontakt in terms of features. Kontakt’s effects, loop slicing capabilities, filters, routing, etc. are pretty incredible. It’s not just a library player, it really is one of the most powerful samplers ever made, once you get past the interface.

Here’s an amazing tutorial on vocal sound design with Kontakt:

Can also check out Magix Independence, there's a free version... Only 2gig of samples included but it's a full fledged sampler, so if you want to roll your own... There is a learning curve as with any sampler, though the basics are pretty easy, I'm not sure what else is missing from the paid version, I know the convolution reverb is missing.... I have the pro suite with over 70gigs so haven't really needed to play with the free version.

It's not really my world. my only use for sampling at this point is for phrases, but I am a consumer of sampled instruments for sure. Most of my sampled instrument money has flowed in the direction of SONIVOX so far.

I am curious about that end of it from the creators' viewpoint. It seems like there are some pretty advanced products out there. I have been poking around the new free version of SampleTank 4 and am curious about it, and there is Halion, and then the MAGIX Independence mentioned earlier.

Kontakt seems to have the most devoted following in these parts. To them, Kontakt seems to be the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful sampler they've used in their lives. To me, I have the need for playing sampled instruments that doesn't include the need for all of the cool stuff that Kontakt can do on the sampling side. They have the freeware Player, but have library licensing locked down tighter than the iOS App Store so that user-created libraries that can be played on the freeware Player do not exist to my knowledge.

Well, whether or not an individual user would need the editing and scripting power of Kontakt, it has the largest available catalog of both commercial and free sample libraries out there.  I just checked before typing this - I currently have 185 freeware and inexpensive 3rd-party libraries fpr Kontakt, in addition to the ones that come with Komplete 12 Ultimate plus the symphonic ones.  

Bob Bone

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

It's not really my world. my only use for sampling at this point is for phrases, but I am a consumer of sampled instruments for sure. Most of my sampled instrument money has flowed in the direction of SONIVOX so far.

I am curious about that end of it from the creators' viewpoint. It seems like there are some pretty advanced products out there. I have been poking around the new free version of SampleTank 4 and am curious about it, and there is Halion, and then the MAGIX Independence mentioned earlier.

Kontakt seems to have the most devoted following in these parts. To them, Kontakt seems to be the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful sampler they've used in their lives. To me, I have the need for playing sampled instruments that doesn't include the need for all of the cool stuff that Kontakt can do on the sampling side. They have the freeware Player, but have library licensing locked down tighter than the iOS App Store so that user-created libraries that can be played on the freeware Player do not exist to my knowledge.

What do you mean with "user" created libraries? There are tons of third party libraries compatible with Kontakt player. 

11 hours ago, Feral State Sound said:

What do you mean with "user" created libraries? There are tons of third party libraries compatible with Kontakt player.

By "user" I mean a party who is not a commercial entity, doesn't wish to earn money from creating Kontakt instruments/libraries.

From my understanding there is Native Instruments, the company who licenses Kontakt, the tool for making these libraries for money, and licenses Kontakt Player for free. And then they and other companies use Kontakt to create libraries to license that can always be played with Kontakt and sometimes with the Player.

My understanding of the licensing is that anyone who owns a license for Kontakt may create and distribute Kontakt libraries that can be played in Kontakt, but the library creator must pay Native Instruments if they wish to create and distribute libraries that are playable in Kontakt Player.

Do I have this right?

6 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

By "user" I mean a party who is not a commercial entity, doesn't wish to earn money from creating Kontakt instruments/libraries.

From my understanding there is Native Instruments, the company who licenses Kontakt, the tool for making these libraries for money, and licenses Kontakt Player for free. And then they and other companies use Kontakt to create libraries to license that can always be played with Kontakt and sometimes with the Player.

My understanding of the licensing is that anyone who owns a license for Kontakt may create and distribute Kontakt libraries that can be played in Kontakt, but the library creator must pay Native Instruments if they wish to create and distribute libraries that are playable in Kontakt Player.

Do I have this right?

Yeah that is right! I didn't understand what did you wanted to say with "users" but yeah, that is... There are no "user created" libraries for Kontakt Player. I am using TX16Wx as sampler and Kontakt Player as sample player because I don't need the scripting capabilities of Kontakt full. I could rant on NI but the thing is that I understand why most of third party developers rely on the NI ecosystem, because AFAIK, is the only solution if they want to copy-protect their libraries. Develop its own sample player is not a viable solution for small companies, is wiser to pay a license fee and make them compatible with Kontakt Player.

Edited by Feral State Sound
  • Like 1