Audio Output to Headphones Trouble

ashley willis

I will preface this post by saying that I am very new to cakewalk and making music in general. I don't know much about computers so forgive my ignorance. 

I just downloaded cakewalk and I also added the Synth 1 VSTi plugin to it. My hope is to use my Beats headphone with this program, and when I have cakewalk running and my headphones connected, it sounds like they are connected to record. It sounds like voice chat on discord, like airy and like it wants me to use my microphone, so I know that it is connected. But, I can't hear anything. Even when I switch programs, like to watch youtube, and cakewalk is running, I still hear the airy sound and no other audio.

Now I tried making sure that my output was to my headphones in cakewalk, and from what I can tell it was. I attempted to find solutions to this but I kept getting stuck. So I closed the program to watch some youtube videos on the topic. However, now my headphones aren't working with youtube or any other audio program on my computer even when cakewalk is no longer running! I went to my system settings and the output is on my headphones and the volume is fine, but no sound. I then connected my headphones to my iphone to see if they decided to stop working all of a sudden and they work on my phone just fine. 

In my attempts to fix this issue I didn't really change any settings except for trying different outputs on cakewalk to the various MIDI options available, so I really don't know what I did to make such a problem arise. 

Any help y'all could lend a nube would be very appreciated.

Ashley - Welcome to the forum. You'll probably get help quicker if you post your specs (computer, processor, OS, RAM, audio interface) like what you see at the bottom of my post here. There are millions of possible configurations. If we know what you're running we can assist you better.