Dependence Day - Collaboration from Daryl 1968 and Lynn

Lynn Wilson

A few days ago, Daryl (1968) Greenway sent me an instrumental track with the working title "Dependence Day" and asked me to write some lyrics and vocals and a lead guitar part.  We had done this last year, with me providing the instrumental tracks, and Daryl providing lyrics and vocals which resulted in "This Weird Love".  The instrumental tracks blew me away, and within an hour, I wrote the lyrics and started working on my guitar part.  A day later, here is the result:  https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=14013775

Daryl provided synths, piano, bass, drums, and 2 guitar tracks (panned left and right), while I did vocals, lead guitar, and toms on the break.  I hope you enjoy this piece as much as we did, and we welcome your responses and suggestions.  As always, thanks!

Edited by Lynn
  • Like 3

Gotta love a little collaboration. Well done lads!
Some nice tone on them guitar licks; what's the signal chain there?

👍

t

is that a glitch at 2:50ish or just more "mayhem" in the break?
I'm diggin' the mayhem btw

Edited by DeeringAmps
added comment
  • Thanks 1

First off - I thought the mix sounded excellent - very up front with depth - that's what it sounded like through my cans.

Sweet lead vocal - I think I've mentioned before you remind me a bit of Peter Gabriel.

I think it's a good song - I really enjoyed the listen - well done guys.

• Thanks 1

This is a great collaboration between you two guys. I would say the mix sounded "glued" together well.  The amount of glue is up to the engineer. I think this has just the right amount in my opinion. Things gel in the lower mids a little but I think it adds to the glue effect and feel of the tune. Amazing how the mix can influence the material in such an artistic way!

The repetitive motifs added to the old pop/rock feel and reminds me of similar tunes from that era. The vocals are great!

Thanks for sharing and I hope you two get to do it again.

• Thanks 1

On 3/25/2020 at 2:12 PM, Hidden Symmetry said:

Good tune & performances. Your parts  fit the tune nicely. On my laptop but it seems balanced, enjoyed it.

Thanks for your encouragement!  I used a laptop for monitoring during the mixdown.

On 3/25/2020 at 2:40 PM, DeeringAmps said:

Gotta love a little collaboration. Well done lads!
Some nice tone on them guitar licks; what's the signal chain there?

👍

t

is that a glitch at 2:50ish or just more "mayhem" in the break?
I'm diggin' the mayhem btw

Tom, thank you so much!  I'm using a preset modeled after Gary Moore in the latest version of S-Gear with my Strat.  That sudden stop during the mayhem is intentional; I got the idea from someone else somewhere along the way.

12 hours ago, Douglas Kirby said:

First off - I thought the mix sounded excellent - very up front with depth - that's what it sounded like through my cans.

Sweet lead vocal - I think I've mentioned before you remind me a bit of Peter Gabriel.

I think it's a good song - I really enjoyed the listen - well done guys.

Douglas, thank you for your kind words!  I'm using headphones more than ever in cross checking my mixes.  I'm glad it translated well.  I'm always flattered by the PG comparison.

6 hours ago, Starise said:

This is a great collaboration between you two guys. I would say the mix sounded "glued" together well.  The amount of glue is up to the engineer. I think this has just the right amount in my opinion. Things gel in the lower mids a little but I think it adds to the glue effect and feel of the tune. Amazing how the mix can influence the material in such an artistic way!

The repetitive motifs added to the old pop/rock feel and reminds me of similar tunes from that era. The vocals are great!

Thanks for sharing and I hope you two get to do it again.

Wow, thank you very much!  Daryl sent me such well polished tracks that I had little to do but not screw up my tracks.  If Daryl can stand doing another, I'm game.  But, these days, time is at a premium so stay tuned.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Johnbee58 said:

Very professional sounding.  You two were just the perfect collaborators for this.  Great tune.  Thanks for sharing.

😀John B

Thanks John!  Our pleasure.

16 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

👍👍

Ha, ha, thanks pal!

• Like 1

On 3/25/2020 at 6:25 PM, Lynn said:

A few days ago, Daryl (1968) Greenway sent me an instrumental track with the working title "Dependence Day" and asked me to write some lyrics and vocals and a lead guitar part.  We had done this last year, with me providing the instrumental tracks, and Daryl providing lyrics and vocals which resulted in "This Weird Love".  The instrumental tracks blew me away, and within an hour, I wrote the lyrics and started working on my guitar part.  A day later, here is the result:  https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=14013775

Daryl provided synths, piano, bass, drums, and 2 guitar tracks (panned left and right), while I did vocals, lead guitar, and toms on the break.  I hope you enjoy this piece as much as we did, and we welcome your responses and suggestions.  As always, thanks!

This was great work on your part Lynn. I only gave you bare bones - you put flesh on em 

• Like 2

Missed this the 1st time around.
I'm impressed you came up with the lyrics so fast.
I could hear the Lynn and Daryl styles in there for sure. Nice melding job.
Lynn, that kind of swirly vocal fx you're using works really well.
Thought I'd lost my internet when that silent bit came in. 😁
Congrats on an excellent collaboration.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, bjornpdx said:

Missed this the 1st time around.
I'm impressed you came up with the lyrics so fast.
I could hear the Lynn and Daryl styles in there for sure. Nice melding job.
Lynn, that kind of swirly vocal fx you're using works really well.
Thought I'd lost my internet when that silent bit came in. 😁
Congrats on an excellent collaboration.

Thank you, Bjorn!  Daryl's music suggests any number of things, but this song just spoke to me.  As for the vocal f/x, I only used a little delay (eighth note), but I doubled the lead and added a harmony above the lead for 3 parts.  It's the natural doubling effect of the two leads that comes out.  Thanks to you and others for noticing.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2020 at 6:27 AM, daryl1968 said:

This was great work on your part Lynn. I only gave you bare bones - you put flesh on em 

Great job, mate!  Thanks!!

22 hours ago, geeare1 said:

Great collab guys. Outstanding playing, production and mix. I'm jealous of people who can work this fast. Man, I can't even tune a guitar in the time it took you guys to finish this song. ☹️

Thank you so much.  Love your song, too.

17 hours ago, David Sprouse said:

Loved all the various musical performances.  I couldn't really understand the lyrics, but I've never understood *her* either.

Thanks David, I don't understand "her" either... ;)