Vocal recording

Please help with the recording of the vocals

When recording vocals, the singer would like to hear some reverb on his vocals in head phones. How to assign a few reverb without this effect being recorded on the tape?
I use the Focusrite Scarlett i818 for recording and playback.

Thanks for the advice

Create a separate cue mix bus and put the reverb there. The singer will hear it in the headphones but it won't be recorded.

Caveat: any software reverb is going to introduce latency that can make the vocal timing sound sloppy. I'd recommend buying a cheap hardware reverb unit just for vocal monitoring. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you Bitflpper,

I am noubie bout vocal recording and dont know much about buses...I know how to create new bus but dont know exactly how to rout signal from mic thru effect to headphones.Please can you explain more specific?

Thank you for yout time and suport...

Regards

1 hour ago, Dusan Sustarsic said:

Thank you Bitflpper,

I am noubie bout vocal recording and dont know much about buses...I know how to create new bus but dont know exactly how to rout signal from mic thru effect to headphones.Please can you explain more specific?

Thank you for yout time and suport...

Regards

For a reverb bus.

1. Create the bus and assign a reverb to its FX bin. Make sure to set the reverb to 100% wet. no dry signal

2. Make sure the output of your new bus is going to the master bus or your desired set of hardware outputs

2. The track you are using to record the vocal assign a send to the bus and adjust how much "reverb" you want

3. Make sure that the "input echo" button is enabled on the vocal track

4. Talk into the microphone and you should hear some reverb applied.

Most interfaces have a direct monitor support where you can hear what you are recording directly through the hardware. You will want to make sure that you are only hearing what is coming from Cakewalk so you don't get a dry signal from your interface and a latent signal coming through the software.

• Like 1