Mute question for midi guitar in cakewalk

bryan11357

Question

Hello,

I just started using cakewalk with my Jamstik+ midi guitar and I was wondering if it was possible to mute certain notes (strings) with, preferably, some sort of midi pedal? For example, if you were to hold down a chord where you would usually mute a string or two in the fret hand, the Jamstik doesn’t process some of the strings as muted. The Jamstik does have 6 individual channels for each string, so I figure there has to be a way to do this, probably pretty easily. In theory, I’d hit a pedal to mute whatever strings I wanted. Thanks a lot for your help.

2 answers to this question

On 3/24/2020 at 11:47 PM, bryan11357 said:

Hello,

I just started using cakewalk with my Jamstik+ midi guitar and I was wondering if it was possible to mute certain notes (strings) with, preferably, some sort of midi pedal? For example, if you were to hold down a chord where you would usually mute a string or two in the fret hand, the Jamstik doesn’t process some of the strings as muted. The Jamstik does have 6 individual channels for each string, so I figure there has to be a way to do this, probably pretty easily. In theory, I’d hit a pedal to mute whatever strings I wanted. Thanks a lot for your help.

If you want to mute every instance of a specific MIDI note, that's pretty easy to do with either the PRV or the Event Inspector. If you want to mute some instances of a note but not others, you can do this in the PRV pretty easily. This would be done after the notes are recorded.

Using the PRV and the Smart Tool, double click individual notes and change the velocity to 0. If you want to mute more than one note at a time, use the PRV and the Smart Tool to select Multiple notes and enter a Velocity of 0 in the Event Inspector. You can also use the Select Tool instead of the Smart Tool to do the same thing.

If you want to mute some notes while playing your MIDI guitar, if your guitar can transmit each string on its own MIDI channel you could use a MIDI pedal to mute notes as long as you could attach the pedal to a single MIDI channel.