Your feedback on ultra ultra wide monitor ...

Ted K. Ling

Hi, I'm toying with the idea of getting a 49" monitor screen (Dell and Samsung have one) and was wondering if anyone had already used Cakewalk on such a wide screen.  I'm currently running two 24" monitors but the bezels are too wide (and it looks ugly when side by side).  Any experienced 49-ers ?

It'll work. However, the reason I use a smaller monitor (34") is that anything wider is going to impinge on line of sight to the monitors and skew their frequency response.

If that's not enough screen real estate, get two and mount them one above the other. My older 24" screens are mounted on an arm and sit above the 34" display. One is used for plugins and browser, the other for the PRV or Melodyne.

I have a 32:9 curved monitor and for the most part it's pretty great. Only 1080 high though, and at essentially 2x 27" HD monitors stuck together, things are just that touch too large for me - I'd recommend a 1440 over a 1080.

That aside, being able to have views open that you'd ordinarily have to close to persevere screen real estate is great. CbB isn't so bad since the Skylight interface is pretty well made, but things like After Effects or Premiere Pro where you'd ordinarily be switching tabs to get to certain effects or parameters is wonderful just having them open in front of you.

The first day is weird using CbB since there's just... so much in front of you to look at 😐 but when you get used to it, it's really hard going back to anything smaller.

I rate it! 🙂

My two cents worth (although I may be owed change...😁).

I do IT consulting work, so I'm constantly remoting in to servers and user's computers all over the place (including the Philippines and Mexico).  Since many of the users now have dual monitor setups, it was VERY trying to work directly on my laptop.  So I started remoting into my laptop first from my primary computer which had a larger screen.  That helped so much that I went out three Christmas' ago and got a 40" 4k TV which looked HUGE originally.  However, I would never go back now that I've used this screen for a while!  Although it's a 4k monitor, I use it at 2,560 x 1,440 98% of the time.  I also do gigantic spreadsheets and Windows programming, so the extra screen real estate is VERY helpful.

Now, here's the interesting part:  There's software out there that will allow you to partition your screen (MaxTo is one and Stardock has related products too).  This allows you to virtually have multiple desktops (or even multiple computers) up at the same time, but with the ability to use the full screen with any of these (just a couple key strokes required).  You can also divide the big monitor into smaller ones so that things stay compartmentalized in each.

While the curved screens are nice, I like the flat ones and I actually have my 40" screen attached to an arm so I can turn it into portrait mode (good for making posters for clients and playing around with Reason's virtual racks!).  The one thing that annoys me to no end are the screens that are very short and wide.  Those are almost completely useless to me.

A couple last points...  Do some research!  Most 4k TV's work GREAT as monitors (and I just saw an off-brand 55" at Walmart for well under $300!).  That said, if you want to do fast-paced gaming, you'll want to spend a lot more and get one with a really low latency (the good gaming screens have low, single-digit latency in milliseconds, most other TV's are in the 60ms to 90ms range - still plenty fast enough for even most games).  Also, check the viewing angles.  Obviously, straight-on should look great, but many (including me) have noticed that some, like my Samsung, start to wash out a little when looked at from an angle (like when I stand up).  LG's tend to be very good from any angle.  The final thing to consider is the type of TV.  You'll have to look this up because I don't recall all the specifics, but some (OLED's?) can still be affected by burn in (the original reason "screen savers" were invented).  This can become very apparent if you use one of these types of TV's as a monitor since a lot of things (like your taskbar) rarely change.

Wow ... thank you so much, all of you.  It looks like I'm a newbie to this forum, but actually I've been around Cakewalk from even the pre-SONAR days (ca. 1993 I think).  That's the second time I've become a "newbie" here ... Bitflipper should know me as SONARtist ...

It's encouraging to hear that it would work !  I was somehow expecting issues with graphic cards not being able to support the native screen resolution.  I currently work in 1920x1080 so going to 2560x1440 would be ideal.

Now, here's the thing.  I've got a 5.1 quasi-fixed installation (a relic from the days of the surround "hype" ... not used so much now), so having a large TV in front of me is not feasable, as it would cover the front-mid speaker (and yes, I also thought a TV should make a great monitor). 
But one of the reasons I chose to try a 49" was that the monitor is pretty skinny.  Also, the width would not present any problems as the speakers are above the height of the screen, which incidentally is similar to the current height of my 2x 24" and not that much wider.

Who knows, I may actually revert back to only stereo someday soon and put a 65" TV up.
And it's good to see some "old" names here ... I learn something every time.