Accidentally deleted tracks

rev nice

I backed up a Sonar 8.5.2 project before recording Guitars and Strings. At the end of that session, I accidentally deleted all the tracks!

I have the backup and I know the deleted audio for the Guitar and Strings is still in the original project's Audio folder.

Does anyone have a brilliant idea that will help me get everything back into one project?

Thanks - rev

First, if you had not closed the project I do believe UNDO would have worked.

Open the project. Open the media browser, browse to the projects audio folder and drag and drop the audio back to the tracks.

You mentioned strings so I assume that was midi data. That I'm afraid is toast once you saved and closed. Midi data is stored in the CWP file.

What he said above 9_9

16 minutes ago, rev nice said:

At the end of that session, I accidentally deleted all the tracks!

You should always save every minute or so when doing anything that changes the project. This is what i do, I key-bind the 'SAVE' feature to the letter 'S' and i press it after i make edits. I never wait until the end of a session to save, unless the session is 10 seconds...

True but if the OP deleted the tracks then saved and closed that would still delete any midi data from the last saved copy.. Auto save would have be the best bet but many people do not use it. ,,, the audio I'm not sure how that works to be honest I think it would still be in the folder.

20 minutes ago, Cactus Music said:

True but if the OP deleted the tracks then saved and closed that would still delete any midi data from the last saved copy.. Auto save would have be the best bet but many people do not use it. ,,,

Auto-save doesn't save instantly. Pressing 's" when its key-binded after every edit would have saved it, not auto save. Autosave doesnt save it instantly.

Edited by CJ Jacobson

Whenever I create a new project I save another immediately with an _bu extension in the same folder. I never use auto save, I just remember to ' save as' after so many minutes or after any crucial edits. I also backup all my projects & masters to 2 ext. hardrives. Some projects & masters will be backed up to additional CD-RW's as well.

Edited by Hidden Symmetry

1 hour ago, CJ Jacobson said:

Auto-save doesn't save instantly. Pressing 's" when its key-binded after every edit would have saved it, not auto save. Autosave doesnt save it instantly.

Of course, we all know that,, But if you have auto save on  and set to save after any changes or what ever you've chosen, there will be a bunch of back up copies of your project in the folder. The last back up before you accidentally delete the tracks will be good.

I only engage auto save when working with clients, just in case of a mishap. It's easy to get distracted and forget to save after a take.

On my own I'm just very much on the ball about saving often. Especially when I use my W7 Laptop. It crashes Cakewalk from time to time. My W10 computer has not crashed for a long, long time.  

If you deleted all your tracks at the end of a session (exited the project)) than no.... The project is no longer with us.

However if you have a saved a working project / or have saved points to fall back on than you're good. Because the audio remains in the folder (unless you use the Clean audio function).