Blue sticky bar.

Will.

Question

19 answers to this question

Open Preferences and scroll down to the Workflow Impediments section and uncheck "Blue Sticky Finger Bar."

You had that coming.

I believe you're referring to the Inspector. Looks like you undocked it and it's floating around obscuring things that you would rather be inspecting.

You can banish it by clicking on the little "X" in its upper right hand corner (not kidding this time, Cakewalk is a Windows app and I went an embarrassingly long time before I realized I could close the Inspector that way), or go up to the Views menu and unselect Inspector, or....well, there's no keystroke to show and hide the Inspector so you have to use the menu command.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

there's no keystroke to show and hide the Inspector so you have to use the menu command.

The "i" key opens and closes the inspector. And also there are modifiers. "Cntrl-I" toggles the Pro Channel, "Shift-I" toggles clip properties and "Cntrl-Shift-I" toggles Track Properties.

• Thanks 1

On 3/24/2020 at 4:57 AM, Starship Krupa said:

Open Preferences and scroll down to the Workflow Impediments section and uncheck "Blue Sticky Finger Bar."

You had that coming.

I believe you're referring to the Inspector. Looks like you undocked it and it's floating around obscuring things that you would rather be inspecting.

You can banish it by clicking on the little "X" in its upper right hand corner (not kidding this time, Cakewalk is a Windows app and I went an embarrassingly long time before I realized I could close the Inspector that way), or go up to the Views menu and unselect Inspector, or....well, there's no keystroke to show and hide the Inspector so you have to use the menu command.

There's a reason for it to be floating around like that! Why would I want to dock the inspector pane when I work better with it undocked? I can just press "I" on the keyboard, If I want it open or close. My question is about the sticky finger bar, that keeps grabbing it, if i move it to far left AS SHOWN IN THE PICTURE.  

On 3/24/2020 at 9:23 PM, Base 57 said:

The "i" key opens and closes the inspector. And also there are modifiers. "Cntrl-I" toggles the Pro Channel, "Shift-I" toggles clip properties and "Cntrl-Shift-I" toggles Track Properties.

I use it undocked. The same with the browser. I know all that shortcuts, you're giving and more. My question is on that blue bar you see in the picture.

I seem to remember a discussion about this several months ago. There was a suggestion floated to have a switch [like a preferences check box] so that the default behaviors for (1) moving undocked windows and (2) Ctrl + moving undocked windows could be swapped--(a) autodocking or (b) non-autodocking.

If I am understanding you correctly, with such a switch you could set the preference so that moving any undocked window could be done without having to hold the Ctrl key.      

EDIT [2020-03-27]:

Edited by User 905133
to post a link to the issue as related to the multidock Blue Sticky Capture AutoDock Hot Spot Whatever You Want to Call It

Guy's I know how to close and open the INSPECTOR PANE! forget about the Inspector pane and look at the BLUE BAR SHOWN IN THE PICTURE. That's what I'm asking, and that's what I want to get rid of. I make use of all my windows undocked except the console view. My piano roll, Matrix window, Staff View, Browser, Inspector Pane and Synth Rack, I prefer to use them undocked. It makes my workflow easier, and as I've said a few times previously - it eliminates the irritating "Audio Dropout" episodes. I've been working for two years this way without any audio dropouts, it's just that blue sticky bar ( it's what I call it) that keep on grabbing it back to it's place if I move a window to far out of the way as seen in the picture.

I guess no one has an answer for this?

10 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

I seem to remember a discussion about this several months ago. There was a suggestion floated to have a switch [like a preferences check box] so that the default behaviors for (1) moving undocked windows and (2) Ctrl + moving undocked windows could be swapped--(a) autodocking or (b) non-autodocking.

If I am understanding you correctly, with such a switch you could set the preference so that moving any undocked window could be done without having to hold the Ctrl key.      

Something like that, Yes. Like i said in my previous reply. I grew accustomed with this way of working for the past two years. So to have a feature to disabled that Bar, that automatically grab the window back to it's home place, would be awesome.  😟 It will also help if anyone can perhaps try working with all windows undocked, for a day or two, to see if they still experience "audio dropouts."

Edited by Will_Kaydo

4 hours ago, Will_Kaydo said:

There's a reason for it to be floating around like that! Why would I want to dock the inspector pane when I work better with it undocked? I can just press "I" on the keyboard, If I want it open or close. My question is about the sticky finger bar, that keeps grabbing it, if i move it to far left AS SHOWN IN THE PICTURE.  

Hey, calm down. We're trying to help here. As I said, you had it coming with calling your issue "Blue Sticky Finger Bar." I did the best I could with the information you posted, really I did, including looking closely at your screen grab, which appeared to me to show the Inspector with a white box around it. Your Inspector just so happened to be inspecting a track that you had colored blue. I have helped people with simpler questions.

Pretend for a moment that I can't read your mind and that terms like "blue highlight" or "blue highlight box when dragging window" or something mundane like that might help me understand what you're talking about and that I might not think of it in terms of "finger" "sticky" or even "bar" no matter what you personally call it. 😂

Now I understand what you mean, you're talking about how when you move an undocked window back over the main Skylight, there's a blue highlight that appears showing you the place your undocked window will dock into if you let go of it. Right?

To my knowledge, there is no way to switch it off, the only workaround is to hold the Ctrl key when dragging those windows.

Please give it a shot in the Feedback Forum. I, too would like to be able to turn this off, as I, too, like to work with floating windows.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Chappel said:

Move the Undocked Track Inspector up until the blue hi-lite disappears and leave it there. Now when you use the 'i' key to show the Inspector it will open to the same spot with no blue hi-lite.

1164586221_UndockedTrackInspector1.thumb.JPG.d2e97778dd8f41019947690efff98fec.JPG

It's not what I'm asking. I know this as I said before. Thanks though.

3 hours ago, Will_Kaydo said:

It's not what I'm asking. I know this as I said before. Thanks though.

On 3/26/2020 at 9:22 PM, Will_Kaydo said:

. . . to have a feature to disabled that Bar, that automatically grab the window back to it's home place, would be awesome😟 It will also help if anyone can perhaps try working with all windows undocked, for a day or two, to see if they still experience "audio dropouts."        [emphasis added]

54 minutes ago, Base 57 said:

@scook already answered this.  Hold the cntrl key while moving it to where you want. No blue sticky fingers.

I typed up the following approx. two hours ago because it seemed to me that people were missing what you were wanting.   I could be wrong, here goes:

-------------------------------------------------

You want the ability to turn off the auto-docking hot-spots, right?

In other words, you want the "blue sticky bars" to not appear at all when moving around floating windows, right? 

In other words, you want the [ Ctrl + moving windows] behavior to be the default behavior without having to hold the Ctrl key down when you move things around, right?

In addition, you would also like to know if others have audio dropouts when a bunch of windows (all of them) are undocked and moved around while working on a project, right?

I can understand a work flow that involves moving windows around as needed as opposed to pressing buttons to open and close windows.  I tend to use a left-hand-on-the-usb/midi keyboard, right-hand-on-the-mouse modality for many activities.  For me changing hands to type on a keyboard or to look for and press or hold a key down is not as fluid.  Maybe your working modality is similar.  

My personal concession is to use the Ctrl key to gain control of window placement and avoid the blue rectangles. I suppose if I felt more strongly about it, I'd put in a feature request.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, User 905133 said:

You want the ability to turn off the auto-docking hot-spots, right?

In other words, you want the "blue sticky bars" to not appear at all when moving around floating windows, right? 

In other words, you want the [ Ctrl + moving windows] behavior to be the default behavior without having to hold the Ctrl key down when you move things around, right?

In addition, you would also like to know if others have audio dropouts when a bunch of windows (all of them) are undocked and moved around while working on a project, right?

Yeah! All of the above. Thank you for this. It is exactly what I've asked and wanted to know. Regarding to my question on whether no one else experience "Audio Dropouts" when all windows undocked, is to see if everyone  else experience what I do - "No audio dropouts."  with this workflow. We're all here to improve Cakewalk, and as I said, I've experience a fluent workflow with floating windows. It's been two years now, with no dropouts. It could be my machine - I don't know. Wont hurt anyone if we try this.