[SOLVED] Unable to set Secondary Snap settings and strange? keyboard behavior

winkpain

EDIT:  [SOLVED] - Solution discussed in a post in the following link...

This issue has come to my attention through a discussion elsewhere here on Snap settings, and I wanted to put wider focus on it in case there are more expert heads who might understand what is going on. Otherwise, I'll send it off to Support...

In wanting to set of Secondary Snap settings I find I am unable to do so. The manual instructs:

To use a secondary Snap to Grid resolution

By default, SONAR uses the global Snap to Grid settings when snap is enabled. However, you can also specify a secondary Snap to Grid resolution that is in effect when holding down the N key.

To assign the secondary Snap to Grid settings, hold down the N key while selecting the desired snap settings in the Control Bar’s Snap module.

To momentarily apply the secondary Snap to Grid resolution, hold down the N key while dragging or editing data that is snapping to the grid. When the N key is released, the main global snap settings are restored.

To swap the primary and secondary Snap to Grid settings, press CTRL+SHIFT+N.

Note: To enable/disable Snap to Grid, press the N key quickly. To assign or use the secondary Snap to Grid resolution, keep the N key pressed.

Tip: You can configure the secondary Snap to Grid resolution to effectively bypass snapping when holding down the N key. To do so, hold down the N key while disabling the snap resolution and snap landmarks in the Control Bar’s Snap module. Snapping will now be temporarily disabled while you hold down the N key.

So, in order to set-up and use Secondary Snap functions you must press and hold down the N key while using the mouse to choose settings.

However, pressing and holding the N key simply repeatedly toggles Snap on and off which is what the N key is set to do in Key Bindings, and the mouse will not function at all while it is being held.  Indeed, holding down any key,  will repeatedly toggle whatever function (if any) is bound to it as long as I hold it and the mouse will not respond at all while doing so.

I'm not sure if this is a "bug",  because this is exactly how the keyboard/mouse functions in any other program I run as well - holding a key repeats that key and mouse functions cease while doing so.

Unless.... Cakewalk is meant to bypass somehow this otherwise "normal" keyboard/mouse protocol to allow for these special functions? and it is not doing so for me for some reason.   Anyone else??

An interesting clue, perhaps, is that in the video I've attached here to try and show what happens when I press Ctrl-Shift-N (nothing), or when I press and hold N (repeated toggle Snap on and off), my keyboard keystrokes, despite being set to be indicated in the lower left corner of the video, do not display when I'm capturing from CbB. My keystrokes DO display when recording from any other program outside of CbB with the same capturing software.  (This issue persists whether I am running the screen capturing software or not, BTW)  This seems to indicate CbB interfering somehow with "keystroke protocol"...?  I dunno.

Who does?

For more clarity,  I have the default keyboard/mouse drivers that are installed with Windows 10 on an HP laptop, no 3rd party keyboard/mouse apps, and a fresh (one day old now) re-install of CbB.

Edited by winkpain

Just now, reginaldStjohn said:

Just for a second opinion. I have never had the "holding the 'n' key" down work for me. It does as you describes and just blasts snap on off settings to the DAW

Yes! I want to say - of course it does!

So, I'm waiting to see if and how anyone has it not do that!

But, it's in the manual, so it must work!