New Audio Interface suggestions

Skeptik

Hello all, It's been a very long time since I've been on these forums.  I am writing because I have a question.  I'm out of the loop and curious as to what audio interfaces would meet my criteria.  Currently I have two of these  daisy-chained, but they are becoming (are) obsolete.  I was thinking of trying to hook them up again to see if I can still use them without any issues and start recording again.  There are only "beta" drivers for Win10 for this unit, (the last full drivers were released on Win 7, that's how old these are).  We have gotten it to work in the past on Win 10, but sometimes it can be such a headache.  It uses Firewire, that's how outdated it is.  I had to install a Firewire card in my pc to use it.

I need at least 12 I/O's I am old school and mic everything on my drummers kit.  We currently mic with 2 overheads, 2 snare mics, 3 (sometimes 4) tom mics and 2 kick drums. (for a total of 10 just for drums).  Also I run my cabinet mic through there also so he can hear my scratch tracks while we record him.  I want something that is current and is not going to be discontinued and obsolete 15 minutes after I buy it, like with what happened when I got my E-MU 1820 years ago and now these Presonus Firestudio Project interfaces that I have.

I will provide any additional that is needed.  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks!

• Like 1

I haven't used any of these interfaces, but Focusrite makes some good AI's and have updated their drivers regularly. Hopefully, others will chime in with more    solutions...

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Clar8PreUSB--focusrite-clarett-8pre-usb-18x20-audio-interface

or 

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Scarlet18i20G3--focusrite-scarlett-18i20-3rd-gen-usb-audio-interface 

If I/O is one of your main considerations and you aren't looking for anything to overly complex I would recommend coupling the Behringer  ADA8200 8 channel microphone preamp into an interface such as the Focusrite Clarett. They both have Toslink/ADAT . If your Clarett has 4 channels and you add the ADA 8 channel using lightpipe you have the 12 channels.

The I/O specs on some interfaces can be misleading since they don't always specify what kind of inputs. A manufacturer might say their interface has 18 channels which is true , however only 12 of those are XLR channels.The rest are 1/4" phono inputs.  I would double check the specs on the Clarett. It might need usb 3.0 to use all inputs.

Another consideration might be that I'm not sure if the Clarett  has a way to be racked. The ADA8200 is rackable. If it only sits in the studio this might not be a concern.

I went from a Gina to a Layla 24/96.  I got a Focusrite Twintrak Pro, but sold it because it got SOOOO hot I thought it was going to spontaneously combust!

All I have left is a Presonus Audiobox USB 96 that's still new in the box.   (I bought it to toy around with, but haven't had the time yet!)

Does Echo still make audio interfaces?