Strange MIDI Behavior

sjoens

Question

CbB 2019.01

Never seen this one before.

1. Project has 10 MIDI, 10 Synth, & 3 Audio tracks.

2. One MIDI track outputs to a Synth track with either Acoustica Instruments or CW TTS-1.

3. If I SOLO another track and hit PLAY, the above MIDI track will also play sound unless I MUTE it.

4. Muting  the MIDI track's Synth track does not silence it. (How can a synth produce sound if it's MUTED?)

5. This MIDI track plays sound no-matter-what if output to Acoustica Instruments or CW TTS-1.

6. Does not happen if Synth is Dimension, SI, or others.

2nd CbB strange behavior in a month. 1st one was certain faders reverting to half volume when hitting STOP in 2018.09.

4 answers to this question

3 hours ago, CJ Jacobson said:

MIDI tacks are just data. The MIDI tracks are always associated with an audio track that outputs the sound. Otherwise, you get no sound. 

And yet there is. So the question remains.

This is the only track behaving this way, so it could be a corrupt MID track.

Or maybe another incident of editing a project started in an earlier version of Sonar. Seems this always brings on weird behavior for me.

Normal behaviour is if you solo a midi track or the VST track that it is pointed to  only those 2 tracks will show as soloed.

This is a handy way to check what tracks are associated with what. 

If you solo the midi track only the instrument track associated with it will also show as soloed. 

Also there is a possibility that your synth is set to output midi data. Go to it's GUI and options ( gear) and make sure it is not set to transmit midi. This can cause a loopback. 

How are the instruments assigned to outputs within the synth?  I'm not familiar with Acoustica, but TTS-1 has 4 outputs. If all instruments are assigned to output 1 (the default), it wont be possible to mute that output if some track driving another instrument using the same output is soloed; the solo will override the mute, and keep the output active.

Ideally each instrument in a multi-timbral synth should be assigned to a dedicated output with a separate Synth track (i.e. an audio track with synth output assigned as input) hosting each output.  This also allows you to to apply different automation, FX and  Send  destinations/levels to each instrument.