Midi Instrument Change

dotonemanband

No, you were correct in pointing it out,, the OP should learn to use the event list for sure,, it's an important tool for midi editing still... As a person who has in the last few years started to use some downloaded files I can attest to the fact that they rarely seem to show the PG changes in the event list. I even thought this was a bug but it was pointed out to me that all PG changes are put in the dialog of the track inspector.  It's true that my old files I made in Dr T will show the PG changes in the event list.

I believe GeneralMidiSMFs setting in TTSSEQ.ini determines whether or not initial program change data is displayed in the event list. By default, this value is set to 1 causing the DAW to create a GM setup measure which is not displayed in the event list. Instead, the data is displayed in the track controls. From https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=MIDI_Files.6.html

When loading a GM file, each track’s bank, patch, volume and pan parameters are lifted from the data stream and placed in Cakewalk’s Track view for you to see and edit on-screen. The GM mode ensures that all patches, banks and controllers are placed at specified times throughout a setup measure when you save a MIDI file. This ensures that all setup information can be digested by your synthesizer before it starts playback. If you don't have a setup measure in your project, Cakewalk will insert one for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, scook said:

I believe GeneralMidiSMFs setting in TTSSEQ.ini determines whether or not initial program change data is displayed in the event list. By default, this value is set to 1 causing the DAW to create a GM setup measure which is not displayed in the event list. Instead, the data is displayed in the track controls. From https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=MIDI_Files.6.html

Thanks, scook.

I'll be honest... Not been there for quite some time... Like many, I got SONAR running how I want some time ago so one tends to forget the finer points.

cheers

andy

Ahh, very interesting Steve.  When people complained that changes they made in the track inspector would immediately revert I always advised to slip edit or split away the first part of the track up until the first note showed. This sometimes worked but not always.  For me it was not only the PG but reverb etc. would jump back.

My solution is I don't use TTS-1 for most parts, I use other none GM synths,  and if I delete the events in the Event editor list all these problems go away.

Edited by Cactus Music

3 minutes ago, scook said:

And "the man behind the curtain" has been revealed!

I have always suspected that there was some special hocus pocus going on when opening a GM file in Cakewalk!  Thanks, scook!

14 minutes ago, dotonemanband said:

Snykrotron.  I followed your steps regarding the event list and was able to change the patch. There was also an option to change the volume overall.  Thank you for solving this problem and to the others for their help as well.  Much appreciated. 

As I am sure others would agree, it is what we are here for :)

Glad to hear that you are all sorted now, and a bit wiser with regards to Event List view.

cheers

andy

Boy that takes me back, I never dug that deeply into the bowels with all those system exclusive things you could do.

It was more just setting up a your sound module the way I wanted it to sound and feeding it notes.

I do remember that you had to lay out all the events with 1/16th note gaps at the start of the song to prevent a log jam. 

My old midi files still show that in the event list.  My event list used  96= whole note, 48 was half,  24 was quarter etc. Triplets were 8,  16 and 32. 

Everything had to add up to 96.  Boy do I not miss that!! I can't even fathom the time it used to take to edit even a simple bass part. 

Oh yes... What a great resource @abacab 😀

I still have to use SYSEX and is another reason for (possibly) returning to SONAR/CbB (although, in fairness I should point out that other DAW also send or record SYSEX). 

I have an Oberheim OB-12 which, for some unknown reason, no longer recognises bank changes, so I have to "operate" the front panel of the synth via SYSEX in order to switch to bank B. A PITA but it works...

And back when all I used was MIDI hardware I started the project proper a bar in, and the first bar was for getting all the MIDI messages out before hand. Blimey, those were the days. And now that I'm back using some of my hardware synths I'm doing the same again.

I think you can send and receive sysex with MIDI-OX, but I have never used it for that.

When I started with Cakewalk over 20 years ago, I was migrating my MIDI setup from an Alesis MMT-8 hardware 8 track MIDI sequencer.  Acquired my first MIDI synth back in '85.

Once I got Cakewalk working, I eventually had a couple of keyboard synths, a couple of synth rack modules, and a drum machine all connected up to a multi-port MIDI interface.  Using sysex and getting a grip on managing my patches was a huge job back then. So was cable management!

When I moved a few years ago, all that hardware ended up in storage. It wasn't really a conscious decision to move into the box, it just sort of happened.  My new space is a corner of a room, where instead I used to have an entire spare bedroom dedicated to my studio. I kind of like the idea of saving my projects now and all current soft synth parameters and patches get saved with the project. Look Mom, no MIDI, LOL! No editor/librarians either. I have a copy of MIDI Quest Sound Quest gathering dust on a shelf.

It's been a while since I had to depend on sysex. But I totally understand the need if you're still running a hardware studio.

So I still have Cakewalk for when I ever get the desire to drag  a MIDI rack unit out of the closet. :D

Edited by abacab

I'm glad you got it to work, but I myself would recommend doing it the way they intend it to be done and use the track inspector dialogs. Then the patches are in clear view at all times and super easy to change.  

I'm not sure you found where to do this in the track inspector?