Midi Instrument Change

dotonemanband

I import an midifile that's been put together by someone from the internet.  (As an example) the bass track is acoustic bass. I want to change it to fingered bass. In the bass track I click the midi icon to open up TTS-1.  I click on the acoustic bass channel and change it to fingered bass. As soon as I play the track again it automatically defaults back to acoustic bass.  Why is this and what to do?  With midifiles I make up on my own, there's no problem changing sounds, just seems to be with files I find online now and then. 

This is a quote from the tutorial …. "The TTS-1 GUI has a lot of things you can adjust. But if the midi file has CC or system exclusive info it will override any changes you make. You would need to edit this in the EVENT LIST or PVR"  …. This  is what I think is what I need to adjust but not sure how to go about it in the PVR.  I have opened the Piano Roll View but still uncertain about what to do in order to change the patch.  Simply, I want to change the sound from acoustic bass to fingered bass in the midi channel but it keeps defaulting back to the original acoustic bass setting.  

8 minutes ago, dotonemanband said:

This is a quote from the tutorial …. "The TTS-1 GUI has a lot of things you can adjust. But if the midi file has CC or system exclusive info it will override any changes you make. You would need to edit this in the EVENT LIST or PVR"  …. This  is what I think is what I need to adjust but not sure how to go about it in the PVR.  I have opened the Piano Roll View but still uncertain about what to do in order to change the patch.  Simply, I want to change the sound from acoustic bass to fingered bass in the midi channel but it keeps defaulting back to the original acoustic bass setting.  

This is exactly what I was referring to in my post above.

Event list is what you need to use...

No- PG changes do not always show in the event list.

Did you not look at my screen shot? It shows the 2 places you can make the changes on any midi track. 

If you set these to NONE then you can use the GUI settings.

Edited by Cactus Music

Please read this once: Choosing the instrument sound (bank and patch)
Please note there are two way to set Patch. So you should check both.

• Patch Control in the Track Inspector (or Track pane).
  • Patch Change Command in the Event List View.

If you don't set any Patch settings, you can use the GUI settings (means change instrument in the TTS-1).

Edited by HIBI

22 minutes ago, Cactus Music said:

No- PG changes do not always show in the event list.

Did you not look at my screen shot? It shows the 2 places you can make the changes on any midi track. 

If you set these to NONE then you can use the GUI settings.

But, if there ARE program changes within the imported MIDI file it overrides any program selection made as part of the track properties.

25 minutes ago, dotonemanband said:

thanks synkrotron … thanks for the suggestion about the event list … I'm just not sure what to be looking for.  As I look at the event list I see info regarding the track, such as trk, channel, kind, patch … but how to I change to another sound? 

Hi :)

I am not at my PC at the moment so if no one else has shown you what to look for by the time I make it into my studio I will do what I can to help.

cheers

andy

Okay, in the studio now...

I had to find a suitable MIDI file, one which I downloaded off the interwebs and that has a patch change.

I dragged the MIDI file into an existing project.

I then selected the track which was created, in this case, Track 6.

I brought up the Event List by right clicking on the MIDI clip and selected View > Event List.

Or, while the track is selected you can select the Event List by going to the Views menu at the top of the main window.

Here is that Event List view:-

MIDI_with_PatchSelection.jpg

I have highlighted the "Patch" change with the red arrow, but in the Event List view a Patch change event is a yellowy orange colour.

Under the heading "Kind" it is called "Patch,"

All the other events on this track are "Note."

What you can do at this point is either edit the patch in the Event List by double clicking on it and changing it in the dialogue box that pops up, or you could simply delete the event by selecting it and hitting the delete button, and this will allow you to set the patch change within the VST or, if you wish, change the patch in the track properties.

In the case of using VST instruments I prefer to leave the patch selection in the track properties blank and selecting the desired patch within the VST.

If you are doing lots of MIDI stuff then it is well worth getting into the habit of using the Event List, sometimes just to see what is in there, but also to edit stuff a bit quicker/easier.

I hope that helps.

cheers

andy :)

PS, I have no idea why I have two images in this post. I originally inserted the image from my hard disk but it was too small so I uploaded it to my FTP site so that I could link it full size. But now I don't seem to be able to delete the smaller image...

MIDI with Patch Selection.jpg

Edited by synkrotron

The forum automatically resizes uploaded images. Using an external link preserves original image size. There is a 50MB quota for uploads. To manage images, click on the user menu in the upper right of this page and select "My Attachments."

n3rq4PR.png

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, scook said:

The forum automatically resizes uploaded images. Using an external link preserves original image size. There is a 50MB quota for uploads. To manage images, click on the user menu in the upper right of this page and select "My Attachments."

n3rq4PR.png

Excellent, scook, thanks :)

1 hour ago, synkrotron said:

But, if there ARE program changes within the imported MIDI file it overrides any program selection made as part of the track properties.

Yes,, but in my experience they ( PG)  often do not show on the event list,,, it's the first thing I go to after I open a midi file. I usually uncheck the "notes" so I can see what sort of mess is in there. I then often delete nearly everything as I wish to make my own settings.

The event list is sort of a left over from by gone days and I myself started life with nothing but an event list for editing in Dr T KCS sequencer.

Now I prefer to use the more up to date tools. As you said, best to just set the track inspector dialog to "none" and use the GUI. It's way to complicated when using none GM VST's to set a bank and a patch change.  And the PVR is certainly more intuitive than the event list for editing and drawing CC events.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cactus Music said:

Yes,, but in my experience they ( PG)  often do not show on the event list,,,

Okay, John, I understand that.

I must admit though that I have never come across a situation whereby things, for some reason, do not appear in the event list. But then again, even though I can also go back many years, using MIDI on the Amiga, I have rarely ever used third party MIDI files. If ever, in fact. So I am by no means saying that what you are saying is incorrect or not possible.

And I agree that PRV is more intuitive.

Perhaps I should not have advised the original poster to use Event List View. Main reason for doing so, in my defence, is that it usually pulls up all events, some of which are not visible in the PRV.

cheers,

andy :)