I had no Idea Jose Feliciano could shred on the electric guitar

kennywtelejazz

I had no idea Jose could play like this on the electric guitar ...

Seems I always thought  he was an acoustic kinda guy ..

Wow he is shredding better than some of these new guys that came up from the shred era .

Who Knew ?

Wow , I'm gonna go on an all expense paid guitar lick shopping spree and copy some of his playing on these 2 songs ,

I ain't no thief . I'm just a guitar lick recyclable type of player   :P

Kenny

Edited by Kenny Wilson
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, craigb said:

Damn that was some tasty playing!  He totally knows exactly where he is and could play it blindfolded.  Plus I have friends who can't tune that well even after 30-40 seconds - LOL!

Yes that is pretty cool playing  on Jose's part ...I'm still getting over the shock of it all ..thanks for sharing ...

7 hours ago, James G said:

Wow, that's an eye-opener!

Oh Yeah James , True that ! This guitar playing from Jose  is a real solid two for the price of one .

When I watch his playing on the video I get a real eye opener . When I close my eyes and just listen to his guitar playing I get a real ear opener ...

thanks for sharing .

52 minutes ago, BassDaddy said:

If you can play it, you get to keep it.

Hey BassDaddy ,

Say you bring up an interesting point .

When I was younger and banging around doing my Git Box travels I would meet Rock guitar players that could play Jazz , Jazz guitar players that could absolutely shred and all kinds of players that had a " secret  you would never know aspect and depth to their guitar playing "

In a way I should not be surprised .

I guess when you hit it as big as Jose did in his career as an Artist , he must have had to stay true to playing the tunes and putting on shows that pleased his audience ...

cool beans , nice talking with you ,

Kenny

Edited by Kenny Wilson

That was an in your face version of Purple Haze that I've never heard before!  Good find!

I ran across an interesting interview with Jose, where he spills a few of his secrets...

Jose Feliciano talks acoustic guitars and a lifetime of making music

https://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/jose-feliciano-talks-acoustic-guitars-and-a-lifetime-of-making-music-567096

• Like 2

1 hour ago, James G said:

Just a Freudian slip, certainly no joke intended.

And this made me do a Google search 'cause, as my reply implies, I didn't know he was actually blind (born blind for that matter).

That explains his not looking at the fretboard and, probably, his exceptional hearing while tuning.

• Like 1

xD

8 hours ago, InstrEd said:

He certainly made it his own. Thanks for sharing

Jose did make it his own and that's a thing I dig about it ...there's more I dig but I'm listening to you guys for the moment ...Thank You for sharing 

8 hours ago, Bapu said:

I see watt you did there Jyemz.

Sadly, Jose did not.

Ouch.... lol

8 hours ago, James G said:

Just a Freudian slip, certainly no joke intended.

:)

7 hours ago, Bapu said:

My bad.

What ? an admission of an individualized recognition of a personal   perceptual distortion of the facts coming from " the bapu " will the wonders ever cease ?

This here  post was said with WUB

6 hours ago, abacab said:

That was an in your face version of Purple Haze that I've never heard before!  Good find!

I ran across an interesting interview with Jose, where he spills a few of his secrets...

Jose Feliciano talks acoustic guitars and a lifetime of making music

https://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/jose-feliciano-talks-acoustic-guitars-and-a-lifetime-of-making-music-567096

Hey abacab ,

That link was a good read , nice to rap w you again , Love what you contributed , thanks .

6 hours ago, craigb said:

And this made me do a Google search 'cause, as my reply implies, I didn't know he was actually blind (born blind for that matter).

That explains his not looking at the fretboard and, probably, his exceptional hearing while tuning.

Jose Feliciano had a lot of Fame back when he was breaking out . Just about every one knew he was blind . Now when we factor in the 50 year + gap between 1968 & 2019 it doesn't surprise me that someone  may or not know about his blindness ....you get a free pass ...don't worry about it  .

Kenny

Edited by Kenny Wilson

4 hours ago, HectorS said:

If I had a few brews and was in the local bar and this band came on playing this I'd yell "woo-woo-woo" with the rest of the drunks.  But listening sober, it ain't that spectacular - quite ordinary by most rock guitar standards.   The 'masses' eat up that kind of rambling fast playing -- kinda like when somebody plays faux-flamenco with E chords sliding fast up and down the fretboard.  Or all the wunderkind on YouTube -- takes more than some razzle-dazzle to be a great guitarist, right?

One thing this does do is to remind me how great Hendrix et al were.

We have been talking in this thread about clips of Jose's playing that are in some cases over 30 years old ...a lot can happen in 30 years

Inquiring minds  would like to learn about the people they are talking too .

So why don't you school me first on who you would like me to think you are .

I  must have missed the memo where you posted the links to all your chart topping hit songs, 

Also I would love to have the u tube links to your multiple Grammy wins including the acceptance speech's you have made for them ....

all the best ,

Kenny

Edited by Kenny Wilson
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, abacab said:

It's all about trying to play those nylon strings like an electric. ;)

Good one abacab ,

I have had phase's in my guitar playing and practice routine where I would only use a classical guitar for practice and working things out .

I remember those times well and after a few weeks or a month my hands felt very strong .

Things that were hard to play on electric had all of a sudden felt fluid and much easier to play on my electric ....

Ssshhh , don't tell anybody ......I hunted down my classical guitar yesterday , put it on my only guitar stand , put away the few electrics I had out except for the Worlds least expensive Les Paul and started Kenny's version of a guitar boot camp practice and playing routine ...

all the best ,

Kenny

• Haha 1

As a kid I first heard Jose on Detroit radio doing Light My Fire around '68. He played the National Anthem at Tiger Stadium & I remember many were upset at his Latin rendition. I was always amazed by his playing, still am,  a great guitarist. He's playing here in Miami Feb 17th, glad to see his career is still going strong.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HectorS said:

If you and others dig this, that's fine by me.  I was giving my opinion.   But, for you to base your 'comeback' on how many hit songs I have, how many Grammys etc.  is sadly childish (not an argument).   (If you stated a dislike for an artist or a piece of music  -- and I'm sure you have -- would you accept as valid a response such as yours? )

First off I never bad rap musical artist's online or even  in person especially if they are not there to defend themselves . It's just not a thing I'm into  on any level ..

To me some peoples online behavior  is no different than The Classic "A - Hole guitarist " that shows up to hear another guitarists band live on stage and gives the player on stage the old thousand yard stare while sitting in the front row while he has his arms crossed in front of his chest doing his best interpretation of a Deadly Self Inflicted Cobra Snake Death Grip ...Poor fella he wasn't brought up right because  his mama never sat him down and told him that the death hold is real bad for his blood circulation

it's just like drinking poison and then expecting the guy on stage to Die ...

You seem  not to know a thing about me and I must confess it appears to be mutual on my end .

So please allow me the opportunity to clue you in .

I hate sharing parts of my resume online I honestly do hate to do so but in this case I will share a few of the Cliff Note moments

What do you really  know about Hendrix ? Have you ever been to his Greenwich Village apt,  sat on his couch in his living room and talked w his roommate ?

I have 3 times . Mike Q was Jimi's roommate since the 60's. Mike held on to Jimi's apt until a few years ago when he then was forced due to age and health problems to enter a assisted living place of residence.

Siting there listening to Mike talk about how Jimi approached his playing and music while sitting on Jimi's couch was a real eye and ear opener

For the record , to this day I have never read a word in print or saw a video that even covers what Jimi's creative process on the level of what Mike Q told me ..

Have you ever played your guitar in a Band as a sideman with an Artist that has won 7 Grammy's  ? I have and  I have also played with a number of Grammy Nominated Artists for some of their select live show's

Have you ever worked as a musician and played your guitar in and for a hit Broadway Show ? I have , I subbed in and for the Original Broadway Show The Best Little Whorehouse In Texas . 

Do you know what it is like to sit down with George Harrison and talk guitars ? I do and it was a life changing event for me ....

Have you ever been gifted a guitar  from the President  of a well respected USA guitar company ?  I have twice . Both Guild And Kramer have given me guitars as gifts.

Most people from the Legacy Forum knew I have hung out and had conversations w Chet Atkins , Eric Clapton , Robbie Blunt , Ronny Wood , Steve Miller , Peter Frampton , Bobby Mayo , Steve Katz and a whole list of Rock Guitar players ....

In Jazz it was even a lot better for me as a Player ..every body here knows I used to jam w Joe Pass and Emily Remler all the time

I have studied with some of the worlds best .......good lord this ain't no humble brag any more ..shheshhhhhh...

Man I can do this all day and all night but doing that means I have to drag myself down to some place I don't want to go to ...

So you think my approach is childish ? ...Yeah Right ...

Dude I can back my $hit up .....CAN YOU ?

Kenny

PS , I'm more of a HERE and Now type of Guitar Player and I am in the best shape of my guitar playing life ....

Knock , knock on the  plain  maple top of my Gibson R 8

You might want to read this post fast because I may decide to pull this post down in an hour or two because do not like putting my old accomplishments out there ....any body that knows me here especially knows it just ain't my style

Edited by Kenny Wilson
  • Like 1

I didn't reply because I just thought you were trolling.  If you play guitar, then you should be able to tell that JF's playing was no where's near average by any comparison.  I have no credentials like Kenny, but I did play in a band with Craig Goldy (Ronnie James Dio's godchild who played with Guifria and Dio), and I used to hang out with Walter Trout and Eddie Van Halen down in So. Cal.  I can tell the difference between average and above.  Most guitarists would give their left nut to play as well as JF did in those videos.

But (I guess), that's just my opinion.

• Like 2
  • Meh 1

1 hour ago, HectorS said:

What is it those kidz say - uh, yeah -- too long didn't read.  But judging by the length of that missive I must have really hit a nerve.  I guess your thought process is -- well, if JF's electric guitar seems average especially compared to the greats where does that leave me (you)?  Okay, I listened to a little bit of your playing just to be fair.  You're good but not great (which is most everybody actually).  But honestly, why get upset (judging by the length of your message) because someone doesn't agree with you on the internet.  Don't be such a theybie dude.  Take care.

Typical ....xD

Honestly I don't care if you read it or not ...I Lived It my man ....

I will tell you this sport , you come into my thread , then you disrespect the featured artist Jose Felicaino while  you act like your not even claiming responsibility  for your view points and attempted written character assassination  of Jose and his playing while your acting all as if you are  a better player than Jose .

Yet you offer ZERO EVIDENCE OF THE FACT Of Backing Up Your Claims by letting us hear some of your playing

Then you try to play the whole I got a right to a Freedom of speech  stance and then try to use it as a way to try and get me to co sign your BS.

Then when you don't get your way and I call you out you try an attempt to MARGINALIZE Me and act all Jaded as if I should give a puck about you and what you think xD

Just so we are clear my dealings with you fall into one basic category .

I'm simply taking out the trash in my thread ( you ) 

Kenny

PS you could have played it different and just said hey ..I don't dig his playing ...there's other cats I dig more , and if you left out the whole high and mighty holier than thou  stance you took ...I would have been OK w that

• Like 1
  • Meh 1