Cakewalk NRPN problem? (Prophet Rev2 controlling Omnisphere)

Jezric

Hi there, I have a Dave Smith Prophet Rev2 and am using it with Omnisphere as a controller. The Rev2 communicates with Omnisphere through NRPN (has a built in profile for the Rev 2 for controlling all the Omnisphere parameters). This works great when running Omnisphere in standalone mode and also works automatically in Ableton Live as a VST instrument. However in Cakewalk, when I add Omnisphere VST it will not receive data from the Rev2. I have an Arturia Beatstep controller also hooked up and Omnisphere can see it for MIDI learn just fine (I believe this is using CC data and not NRPN). So, this looks like it has something to do with Cakewalk and the Rev2. 

Am I missing something simple regarding enabling this sort of thing in Cakewalk? As I said above, worked automatically in Ableton Live with no special config, and I swear this was working a while back in Cakewalk too, this is why it leads me to believe it's just some simple config thing, but I can't find anything...

Thanks

Edited by Jezric

Maybe a clue what to look for that can be different - not sure if relevant, just an idea...

While I was in transition between StudioOne and Cakewalk, I noticed difference that Cakewalk always handle NRPN as if it is 14-bit values, meaning both MSB+LSB - which StudioOne did not. In StudioOne it was not put together but as separate recorded CCs 0-127.

It's possible to send just LSB or MSB, I mean if that matters in how config is done from REV2.

You can look in event list view how it looks as recorded.

There are some useful midi monitor MFX plugins here for looking at what is sent from your gear here:

http://www.tencrazy.com/gadgets/mfx/

PortDiag och TrackDiag both show midi, but PortDiag from live input and TrackDiag what is played back from recorded.

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I have tried that.  Still does not hook up.  

Interestingly, when I record on the instrument track and turn some knobs, it does capture some values, however when I look at what it captured in the Piano Roll view, controller lane, the value it captured is very minimal, like barely a curve even though I'm cranking the knob full spectrum. Then if I draw a bigger curve, it still doesn't affect the parameter in Omnisphere. This is what the recording looks like:

omnicapture.thumb.PNG.45748c51bf341577862e5da341270e0b.PNG

In omnisphere, if I look at the full parameter report, NRPN: 15 looks to be the correct parameter that the Cuttoff knob on the rev2 is sending,

omnicapture2.PNG.dedc1eb9c000c91186d1bbf018fc076f.PNG

...however, cakewalk is not passing it through it looks like. The mystery here is that it works just fine standalone or as a VST in Live. So, leads me to believe something is messed with my Cakewalk config. 

• 2 weeks later...

@LarsF, hey, wanted to call out that I went and checked out TenCrazy MFX plugins and installed the TrackDiag plugin and it shows that the midi track the Rev2 is set as input for is actually sending CCs for the control changes when I turn knobs, and then crazy enough, I created an Audio track, added the Omnisphere synth, hooked up the midi output channel to it (with the TrackDiag plugin on it), and it now is controlling the Omnisphere as expected... hmmmmm... 

I don't think it had anything to do with the MFX plugin, but it is now working, so I can't complain... Perhaps Omnisphere updates, it does it behind the scenes I think, I didn't note the version I was using when I posted this. 

Anyway, thanks for the link, if anything those utilities will come in handy in the future. 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Slightly off topic I know but does anyone have a working INS file for the Prophet Rev 2?

I am killing myself trying to calculate the Bank Select Values and Bank Select method for this thing and searching the web is coming up with bupkiss.

I can't even find a similar file for any Dave Smith instrument newer than 20 years old and my experiments are resulting in some pretty wild results.

Somebody help me please.

Gary ;)

7 hours ago, happyrat1 said:

Slightly off topic I know but does anyone have a working INS file for the Prophet Rev 2

This thread is over 2 years old.  JMO: Asking about creating an INS file in 2022 deserves a new topic.

Edited by User 905133
edits