Volume Automation Default When Adding A Track

craigr68

Question

4 answers to this question

Do you mean that automation  ( Read ) is on by default? If so - there is no automation when instantiating an instrument track- so no volume control. It would only save a step after recording automation. I'm not sure what value there might be by having it default to off, or maybe you could explain what issue it causes for you.

Yes, that's what I mean.  I just created a Rapture instrument track (by clicking the + in track view), went Shift A, and Volume Automation was on (ie had R highlighted) and the track slider volume was set to 0db.

So I then set the slider manually to a desired volume, hit play, but the volume jumps right back to 0db because Volume Automation defaults to on (R highlighted).   That's why I wish Volume Automation could be made to default to off (R not highlighted).  Saves my ears from getting blown out too.  So usually I just try to remember to go Shift A and unhighlight the R for Vol Automation.  It just seems like all this could be avoided by simply defaulting Volume Automation to off (R unhighlighted).  Maybe there's something I'm not getting here.   

Shift+A shows automation lanes, and will create a Volume lane by default as a convenience since that's the most often used type of automation. If you want something else, you can change the type using the drop-down in the lane header or by right-clicking the envelope, and choosing Assign. If you don't want any automaiton on the lane, don't Shift+A to show automation lanes in the first place.