any tool to get the tempo of an audio clip?

micv

Set the Edit Filter to Transients, right-click the clip and choose Edit Clip Tempo Map. Average tempo is shown at the bottom of the clip.

It may often be off by a factor of two. Play the track and verify that the downbeat markers are aligning roughly with the downbeat transients. If not, choose one of the alternate tempos from the dropdown. If all you want is that average tempo, you can just change the Edit Filter back to Clips.

Edited by David Baay

MixMeister Bpm Analyzer can do that.  I have an ancient freebie version from 2004 that has a pretty simple user interface.  You open the app, drag an audio file onto it and it tells you what the BPM is.

They now seem to have a much more feature rich version for a whopping $3.99...

http://www.mixmeister.com/bpm.php

Note that my 16 year old version still does what it was supposed to do...so I haven't upgraded.

21 hours ago, David Baay said:

Set the Edit Filter to Transients, right-click the clip and choose Edit Clip Tempo Map. Average tempo is shown at the bottom of the clip.

It may often be off by a factor of two. Play the track and verify that the downbeat markers are aligning roughly with the downbeat transients. If not, choose one of the alternate tempos from the dropdown. If all you want is that average tempo, you can just change the Edit Filter back to Clips.

If you have Melodyne, just drag the file to the timeline and Melodyne will set the tempo.

• Like 1

It wasn't clear that the OP actually wanted to have the project tempo reset to the clip tempo; just that he wanted to know the clip tempo.  That's one reason I suggested Audiosnap.

Also, if the clip was recorded to a click, I would recommend just setting the project tempo to that average tempo to avoid complications that can result when Melodyne inserts a tempo changes at every 8th note with interpolated changes of a fraction of a bpm.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

Doesn't seem to happen for me.  Does it depend on which version of Melodyne you have perhaps?

It may not happen with a recording that has a very tight tempo. I checked, and in that case, Melodyne may set a single constant tempo. But it if detects a little drift, it can get a little carried away inserting changes in my experience.

5 hours ago, micv said:

Interesting how it also gives other tempo in the drop down list, not sure what they are, and as you warned, double tempo.

It's making a best guess at what the tempo is, and offering various multiples and fractions of that guess that might also fit. Melodyne also does this, and also often defaults to half or double the actual tempo.

On 3/20/2020 at 1:58 PM, micv said:

would be great if it shows where the tempo change as well

The ancient version I have only gives you a single value, which may or may not be an average.  The more recent, paid for version might support tempo changes.  I don't know.

On 3/19/2020 at 7:25 PM, David Baay said:

Set the Edit Filter to Transients,

right-click the clip

and choose Edit Clip Tempo Map. Average tempo is shown at the bottom of the clip.

Double left-click the clip ...

Yes, double-clicking opens the Audiosnap Palette which is another way in too Edit Clip Map. The Palette also shows the average tempo and allows you to change it directly, but you really need to see the beat markers in the clip map to know which tempo is correct, unless you already have a good idea what it should be.