Mercurial Euphoria

cclarry

2 hours ago, jesse g said:

[Youtube

Is he looking at ME, or is he looking at Larry !!  Kind of Creepy heh?

No. He has a lazy eye and it'd probably hurt him to read that. But Pete Thorn is an amazing musician and has a great look too.. dude always has a different hairdo, and I notice that kind of thing as I also got love for the hair game. 

16 hours ago, Mesh said:

@Christian Jones

I got to play for about 40 min with it and it does sound pretty good,  but I don't think it's worth the asking price ($79    (possibly may need to spend some more time with it)). I also look for that digital 'fizzy' breakup sounds and didn't notice it with Euphoria.

However, the volume is very sensitive and tends to send the output to red very easily (had to lower the in/output levels to adjust).  The chorus pedal is very nice and makes a huge difference in tone. I also noticed that my freqout pedal would give it a mid/high tonal boost which was very nice.  ATM, I think I can  get similar tones from my other amp sims. Don't get me wrong, it's quite good,   but just didn't quite have a  'wow' factor for me.

You really should test it out and see for yourself. ;)

Same here. Although this amp sim aims to be kind of meat and potato thing, other amp sims provide extra goodies like pitch shifting, acoustic sims, tremolo, you name it. The downside of such one trick pony kind of plugins is that you can't (or won't) use it for roots music, acoustic guitar, bass and creative effects. Lack of all such use cases doesn't help to justify the price tag, IMO.

18 minutes ago, Christian Jones said:

Zinc, dude.. *sigh* ok I'll grab that plugin too, that looks awesome and I hadn't heard of that one either, that could be really useful especially since you can mess w/ it in post as opposed to a pedal where you have to print that.. not that I'm opposed to printing effects.. that's old school and I do it a lot. Plus Blue Cat makes some solid stuff. Thanks for tip. 

Yeah Christian, it's a doozy alright! Sorry to be responsible for lightening your wallet :) 

It goes back to a discussion I had with Mesh...he bought the Freqout (and Larry had also given it a glowing report before). I have a Les Paul with a Fernandez Sustainer pickup on it which can do some similar things to the Freqout pedal but of course it's only on one guitar whereas the Freqout can be used on any guitar (or other instrument/voice). Then I wondered whether there was a VST effect that could so something similar and at the time I drew a blank looking for one.

Next thing I see Blue Cat has brought out AcouFiend! Job's a goodun! 👍

5 hours ago, Mesh said:

You're going to love that.....aahhh Freqout .....pedal. 😉

How is it on chords?

2 hours ago, ZincT said:

Blue Cat has brought out AcouFiend

Same question, how is it on chords. What kind of authorization?

30 minutes ago, Grem said:

How is it on chords?

Freqout works just like a real amp cranked. It just works at any volume level and you can easily adjust the feedback to suit your playing. 

On chords, it's great....just let a chord ring and the it feedsback like the real amp. You can even get feedback on clean tones (no distortion needed) and at any volume level.

One of the better purchases I've made. See if you can test it at a local music shop...it's awesome.

56 minutes ago, Grem said:

How is it on chords?

AcouFiend is pretty much the same as Mesh's response re the Freqout pedal. 

The authorization is by user name and key which you enter when you first run it.

There's a demo version here if you want to try it Grem...

https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Product_AcouFiend/ 

Also these YouTube videos are worth watching...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om1I6i5zbPw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg_ZUMHy-84

• Like 1

Thank you for the responses gentlemen.  Appreciate the link Zinc. 

D/l the demo and played around with it for about an hour. So I got a good feel for it. I tried to dial in a more pleasing feedback response, but never could really get happy with it. The defaults seems about where it works best. 

And works it does. Easily gets feedback with very little effort. If a sound is coming through, it's trying to feedback!! And the feedback tone is really wonderful. Very realistic.  

That said, to me it has an over compressed sound to it. I used it with THU through the Metro head (I love that head!). As stated above, it sounded great. But I am not a big fan at all of heavy compression.  And I can hear it. But more importantly for me, I feel it. When I turn off the AcuoFeind, the Metro sounds much more natural. I can get great pinch harmonics out of it.

I will try it out some more. Haven't made up my mind yet.

4 hours ago, Grem said:

To bring thread back on topic!!

I tried to use Reaxis with my test but it needed to authorized again. This is like the second or third time this has happened. Anyone else seeing this?

Yeah this happens with the Mercuriall stuff, it will happen usually after a major (ish) Windows 10 update, like XLN stuff among others (I guess you haven't used Reaxis in a while?).

They said way way way back they were going to fix the situation with their plugs, but I guess they didn't.  Haven't fired up any of their stuff in ages, own everything bar this latest, not even going to bother demoing it, the others are fine/OK, but you know how it goes.

Edited by ensconced
  • Thanks 1