Mackie XR824 8-Inch Powered Studio Monitor

cclarry

3 hours ago, John Bohlen said:

I got the original HR824's. Probably still good, but they don't make them like they used to.

Mackie was a *great* company until they went public.  Since then the quality of their products have dropped considerably.

Just a point of clarification, the subject of the thread is the XR series, which is a step down from the current HRmk2 series, so while "they don't make them like they used to" is certainly open for discussion, it's not a fair comparison between the current XR series and the original HR series.

For what it's worth, a few months ago I purchased the 5" model of the Mackie MR series, which is another step down from the XR series, but for the price, I'm extremely happy with them. Especially compared to the direct competition from other brands (JBL 305P mkII, Yamaha HS5, etc.) In my opinion, the Mackie MR is the most accurate/natural sounding of the bunch, and that is what is important to me. YMMV.

3 hours ago, ptheisen said:

Just a point of clarification, the subject of the thread is the XR series, which is a step down from the current HRmk2 series, so while "they don't make them like they used to" is certainly open for discussion, it's not a fair comparison between the current XR series and the original HR series.

For what it's worth, a few months ago I purchased the 5" model of the Mackie MR series, which is another step down from the XR series, but for the price, I'm extremely happy with them. Especially compared to the direct competition from other brands (JBL 305P mkII, Yamaha HS5, etc.) In my opinion, the Mackie MR is the most accurate/natural sounding of the bunch, and that is what is important to me. YMMV.

True, but I'm only concerned with their higher end line. If I remember well, I think they had an issue with the HR824 mk1's. They corrected that with the mk2's, and while still very good (nominated for a TEC Award in 2008), they couldn't beat the originals. The HR824's won the TEC Award in '98, not to mention they're also THX certified.