Cakewalk, SD3 issues

Mr. Torture

When I drag a midi pattern from Superior drummer 3 into the Cakewalk track it is missing elements of the pattern.

For example; There is a pattern with kick, toms & hats. When I play the pattern in SD3 all the drums are sounding, when I drag the pattern into cakewalk and play it, the toms are missing?

I know you can select which drums are dragged into the DAW, I assure you I do not have any individual drums selected. Is this a glitch in Cakewalk? First time this has ever happened to me and I have owned Cakewalk since version 6.

This is what I do:

Insert soft synth > Superior drummer 3

Open the gui for SD3 and select a midi pattern

Drag the midi pattern from the SD3 gui into the Sonar track that contains SD3

If I play the pattern through SD3's gui, it plays all instruments. If i drag the midi file into Sonar and hit play in sonar, the toms are missing.

Like I said, I have been doing it this way for many, many years and have never experienced this issue before?

Are you using the MIDI to drive a different drum VSTi? There is a possibility drums in a pattern may be using alternative articulations mapped to different keys and not supported by the other VSTi.

Edit_ you last post came through while I was typing so my idea now seems unlikley.

Edited by Vernon Barnes

2 minutes ago, Vernon Barnes said:

Are you using the MIDI to drive a different drum VSTi? There is a possibility drums in a pattern may be using alternative articulations mapped to different keys and not supported by the other VSTi.

I am not, only using one midi file to play sounds in SD3 only. When I get home tonight I will try to shoot a video of what's happening. Thanks for all the help on this!

Edited by Mr. Torture

I have experienced in the distant past that when a pattern is dragged from SD3, the wrong MIDI file may be referenced. IIRC, you can ensure you get the correct pattern by checking the file name associated with the pattern button, and pulling it in directly from the file system.

At 0:38 when you drag the MIDI clip into the trackview at the top it reads "Add-On Packs/Songwriters Pack/" but the clip you dragged when I drag the same one (which has the Toms) is dragged as "Add-On packs/Classic Rock Grooves/Midtempo/Straight 4/4/Edge Living 85 BPM/Intro/Variation 04"

Now why your SD3 is serving up the wrong MIDI file, I don't know.  The same clip in mine seems to work just fine.  But that's why your not getting the right drum loop.  Maybe something to do with your Toontrack MIDI database?

Like other pre-BandLab instruments, where sounds and files are stored is pretty arbitrary. If you moved your sounds somewhere to save space, or moved any of the folders SD3 wants to reference, or messed with the file structure in any way, you'll probably lose things.

I ended up moving all my SD3 content over to a separate drive, and added an mklink where Cakewalk looks for the sounds.

• Like 1

An interesting comment (about SD2)

https://www.toontrack.com/forums/topic/midi-drag-and-drop-cubase/

When you drag and drop a MIDI file out of Superior Drummer
a temporary file is created and a path to that file is handed to the
application that receives the drop. If this temporary file cannot be
created the drag will fail. Sometimes an old temporary file of the
same name but with dodgy access permissions can block the creation
of the new file. This file would sit in C:ProgramData>Toontrack>Superior2.
Have a look around there for suspicious .mid-files. Remember that
ProgramData is a hidden folder.

Olof Westman - Toontrack
Coder

SD3 appears to place it's drag and dropped files into C:\ProgramData\Toontrack\Superior3 if that isn't writeable/is protected the export would fail and Cakewalk might import an older file that just happens to have the same name.

6 hours ago, Craig Anderton said:

Like other pre-BandLab instruments, where sounds and files are stored is pretty arbitrary. If you moved your sounds somewhere to save space, or moved any of the folders SD3 wants to reference, or messed with the file structure in any way, you'll probably lose things.

I ended up moving all my SD3 content over to a separate drive, and added an mklink where Cakewalk looks for the sounds.

I will look into that. I have a seperate drive for samples and SD3. Thanks

Just a hunch from manual p1475 pdf about a setting

"Create Default Drum Map for Non-Cakewalk Files. This option ensures that when you load a Standard MIDI File, you won’t 
have to create a drum map from scratch—Cakewalk creates a basic one for you."

Not tried it - but it could outmap some toms for you.

• Like 1

This isn't a mapping issue and it has nothing to do with Session Drummer.

When Toontrack's Superior Drummer 3 drag and drops MIDI files into a DAW/Desktop/File Exporer the way it does it is it takes the MIDI file and places it in C:\ProgramData\Toontrack\Superior3 but it doesn't uniquely name these files.  It just uses the MIDI "part"  for the file name so for example the file might be called "Verse 01.mid"  It then tells the app your dropping to about the file. 

Now the app you are dropping to may just open that file, read it in and close it.  But it might decide to use that file where it was exported.  And it could do that by locking the file/keeping it open (just like Word and Excel lock files they open).  If that happens and you try to drag and drop another file from SD3 with the same part name, SD3 can't re-write/change that file.  And it doesn't give an error in this case, it just ignores the failure to write and tells the app the file is there.  So you end up with the wrong/old file as being dropped.  That's exactly what is happening here.

The only solution to this is to stop whatever is blocking the updating of files in the C:\ProgramData\Toontrack\Superior3 directory.  It could be Cakewalk, it could be another plugin, it could be a media player/Windows app.  Or there could be some sort of other permission/access problem with the ProgramData directory.

Delete all the files in C:\ProgramData\Toontrack\Superior3 and see if this bad export still happens.  If you can't delete all the files there, figure out why.  Exit any apps that are locking files there (could be Windows itself so you'd need to reboot).  By understanding how something works you can do the detective work to figure out why exactly they aren't working correctly in this case.  There are a bunch of reasons why these steps can fail, but only with investigation can you narrow it down.  Good luck.