Melodyne expiration

Gary Shore

Question

Just found out that,unlike what I had been mistakenly assuming,when the 30-day trial version of Melodyne Player expires,it doesn't become the Essentials version...see it's there when I went to Region FX and tried to use it to convert a bass audio clip to MIDI but,as I'm new to both using Melodyne as well as doing this,wasn't sure if the fact that the resulting straight line on the MIDI track instead of MIDI data when I dragged/copied the Melodyne audio clip there was due to the version having expired or my own unfamiliarity with how to do things...

Was able to play the clip through the TTS-1 but using SI Bass only got a "sine wave"....

Saw the audio waveform in the Melodyne Editor but wasn't able to lasso select or get things to work...having spent the day familiarizing myself with how to use the Essentials version by studying some YouTube tutorials,I wasn't sure how to go about things....

Have a bunch of tracks I was planning on using the various MIDI/VST options available in Cakewalk to replace the audio bass track with(TTS-1/SI Bass/SI Strings Bass)but not sure what's up with all this and could use some feedback here...

I posted this thread a while back about this same subject and was operating  under the impression that using the info I received then would be how I'd go about doing things...guess things have changed since then w/various updates versions of CbBL having happened......

.As I'm completely new to this stuff,I'd welcome any info about other (preferably free)plug-in options for doing the audio-midi conversion as well as something that would be able to do pitch correction if possible (as I had been thinking Essentials would....)

As always,much thanks to everyone here who's taken the time to reply to my previous threads and get me on the right track with the DAW....

I just tried setting up a new copy of the project and initially thought I'd fixed things...as posted above it's a long file(7 + min.)and since I saw the "Initializing Regions/Analyzing Audio/Mixing Down Audio"succession of events taking place continually at a rapid pace,I was thinking "this is normal given the length of the clip" and waited to see "Saving Project" appear...

However after a few minutes things stopped,and I got a "Crash Dump" message....

Tried it again,this time my laptop shut down and I had to reset the power itself to get it to turn on.....

Really not sure what's going on and any continued help/feedback would be greatly appreciated.....

David-

Thx man for continuing to be involved here,just the fact that people like yourself,scook,jim fogle,kurre and msmcleod are in the loop gives me a better sense of being able to get this resolved,moving  past the technical DAW/laptop stuff and back to the musical focus....

In terms of what you're asking re-the part of your PM from last week about this-

"So... if it's not working to convert a long audio clip that never had Melodyne enabled on it as a region FX before the expiration (i.e. it's been re-imported or bounced), I think you are on the right track to split it, but you should also 'Bounce to Clip' each piece individually to discard the part of the audio that's just been hidden by slip-editing in case Melodyne is not handling that properly.'

Actually the original bass track slip-edited clips were bounced initially to make one long clip;as a result the slip-editing had already been replaced prior to my thinking that,based on the results I was seeing, possibly the 7 min.clip was a problem for the audio-MIDI conversion given the current expired version of Melodyne set-up in place and that maybe shorter clips made from the new one dragged to the MIDI track would work...this was tried repeatedly without any success...

Based on what happened today as described in my previous thread where the dysfunction tied to this progressed from just the DAW itself to the laptop,very apprehensive now about doing anything else before getting some kind of definite sense of WTF is actually going on..sent a PM to Noel Borthwick and waiting to see what his take on things is....

As always,your input in particular is of great interest,know you have a great understanding of everything imaginable w/the DAW....

Edited by Gary Shore

On 3/19/2020 at 11:50 AM, msmcleod said:

Dragging the audio clip to a MIDI track *should* still work, even if your trial has ended.

I am a bit late in this forum, but do you have to pay after the 30 day trial has ended? And another question, is there a way to cancel Melodyne 5's Trial verison without a Melodyne account, or do you have to make one in order to cancel it. Sorry if it doesn't make sense.