Bandlab Latency

Victoria Johnson

Question

I use the Cakewalk by Bandlab for working on music. Recently, my fellow band members and I have been looking at Bandlab as an online collaboration tool to use while we are ... hold up at home! I put up the files but when they try to record a track from home (they don't have a lot of computer tech and one is using his phone) there is a latency issue. When I was testing it I thought wow my timing is off a bit and then the thought oh, wait ... latency. I ran the test once and it worked. I shut down came back this morning and the latency is still there and the latency test no longer works. Did everything right. I really need this to work for the other members. Thanks in advance... V

10 answers to this question

1 minute ago, Victoria Johnson said:

.... I ran the test once and it worked. I shut down came back this morning and the latency is still there and the latency test no longer works....

What do you mean by "latency"?  You mention running a test which suggests latency mon... Is that what you mean?  Or do you mean a lag in between the time you press a key and when you hear a note...?

bandlab (the online thing) is not the same as cakewalk (a desktop thing) so you might not get much response here as this forum's users use the desktop thing

fwiw, i'd be surprised if there wasn't latency involved in an online thing, as it's primarily dependent on your internet connection inaddition to any latency introduced by your hardware/drivers...

good luck!

I went back to using Cakewalk ... I was hoping that band members could record their parts on BandLab and we could practice but the latency is just too off. I have ran that test we no results. So we are back to the drawing board . I"m the only one with Cakewalk, the others are using the Bandlab app for their phone. Oh well...

2 hours ago, Victoria Johnson said:

I went back to using Cakewalk ... I was hoping that band members could record their parts on BandLab and we could practice but the latency is just too off. I have ran that test we no results. So we are back to the drawing board . I"m the only one with Cakewalk, the others are using the Bandlab app for their phone. Oh well...

I test drove the web-browser-based Bandlab two or three times.  I explored (very minimally) the potential to export Bandlab projects (*.blx) and then import them into Cakewalk. So, I know it can be done; I just can't tell you how.

Not sure if this is what you tried already; if not, maybe the info would he helpful.  If so, I can look up the links and add them here--but I think the sections are in the Reference Guide and in one of the Feature Updates from  a few months ago.  I seem to recall it was listed as a feature preview. 

• Like 1

Hello,

I recently had the same experience.  I'm using a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 USB Audio Interface.  Using Cakewalk in ASIO mode, the latency while tracking is very very low.   Using the Mix Editor, I would approximate the latency at 500 ms.  This is insanely high.  I believe it is deeply architectural as the browser is limited to using MME, and may well be introducing other latencies on top of that.  So for me it was a bust.

9 minutes ago, Larry Blumer, Jr. said:

I believe it is deeply architectural as the browser is limited to using MME

Chrome can use ASIO, this one reason BandLab initially required Chrome to run the DAW.

Still ASIO does nothing for network performance.

3 minutes ago, scook said:

Chrome can use ASIO, this one reason BandLab initially required Chrome to run the DAW.

Still ASIO does nothing for network performance.

Is that right?  Interesting.  I manually upgraded to Edge 80.X so I could run it.  Have you measured the latency using Chrome/ASIO?