What You See Is What You Get

freddy j

I was cleaning up some old Cakewalk files on my external hard drives and came across this little number that I did a few years ago.  It is a little, fun soft-rocker.  The mix was rough , so I tried to clean it up.  Hopefully, it is a little bit more presentable.  As always, any comments and suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

WHAT YOU SEE IS WHAT YOU GET

https://www.soundclick.com/bands3/default.cfm?bandid=963481

Edited by freddy j
  • Like 1

Fun song! Freddy welcome back, if you ever left!

You have clearly slapbacked the crap out of guitars and vocals, and I'd say it works. So it's a period piece, welcome to 1959. Very cool that way! I hear the early Beatles ripping this one up. I'd say stellar period-correct guitar work, and thank you for tuning them first.

Occasionally, in the back end of the chorus, you have simultaneous  slapback going, on vocals, bgv multiples, and guitars. It kind of collapses the frequency spectrum into something narrow-sounding. Do you hear that? Is that "overload" what you are aiming for? Maybe so! The verses are clean, clear, and fun.

I think this is one of your better tunes, and you have totally nailed the time machine here. Well done!

cheers,

-Tom

Freddy
Yeah, this is one of your better efforts, tho I've liked all your submissions. Listening to this I got a little nervous since it seemed like the delays  were all going to crash into each other somewhere along the line, but didn't happen. Enjoyed the lyrics and boy I really liked that guitar solo starting ~1:20.

I really didn't like the delay to start with, but as it went on it grew on me, though I can't honestly say that I wasn't sitting here wanting to hear a little less of it. As ever you've nailed the style though and the mix sounds good on laptop speakers. I often think that your songs could find a place in films set in that period as they sound quite authentic to me. 

Hey Freddy,

Great to see you over here at the new forum!😀

You've got a really nice old school rock 'n roller here! Reminds me of sort of a cross between Rockabilly and 60's Surf Rock.

Great playing and singing, as always, Freddy, and the vintage mix sounds clear and right on the money for the style!  I enjoyed the tasty clean solo, too, perfect for the energetic flow of the song.👍

Excellent job, good stuff, Freddy!🙂

Bob

First of all my apologies for being so tardy on responding.  Much to my horror my trusty 9 year old computer died on me.  It resulted from a number of ailments but the most tragic one is that it ruined my internal hard drive (an estimate of ~$500+ to see if my files could be recovered -- with no guarantee).  To complicate matters it was not sending backup files to my external hard drive.  Fortunately, most of my songs were on the external drive but I have lost some import "other"files.  I now have a new computer and have been getting things set up including Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One.  However, I am having a problem getting plug-ins back and am not getting great support with one or two of the vendors.  Ahhh well, this is one of those challenges that just makes life interesting.

Hi Lynn and thanks for your kind comments.  I too am glad that you have found your way to the new forum.  I always enjoy listening to your music and look forward to your posts on this forum.

Hi Douglas.  I appreciate your taking the time to listen and comment.  I have been often accused of using too much reverb on my vocals and ya, probably rightly so.  I am glad that it turned out alright on this number.  Thanks again.

Hey Emeraldsoul have you changed your avitar  ---- I like it!  I'll have to go back and listen to the choruses on this song.  Actually I didn't plan for any overload (I'm not that good) but thanks for pointing it out.  I will listen and analyze as much as my knowledge and limited talent will allow.  If I can figure out what is going on and it sounds like it works, I might even want to see if I can duplicate it on a future sound.  I very much appreciate your input  -- Thanks again!!

Hey Bjorn.  Great to hear from you.  I am glad that you, Emeraldsoul and others have pointed out concerns about my use/abuse of reverb and delay and I admit guilt.  I just love the stuff but thanks to y'all I am more aware of it and hopefully I will be less abusive.  Thanks for the input!

Hi John B.  Guilty as charged --- I am an abuser of delay.  Seriously, I do appreciate your suggestion and the suggestions of others.  I will indeed spend a lot more time on syncing tempo with delay and delay with other delayed instruments.  Thanks for listening and for the good suggestion.

Hi Paulo.  I appreciate what you are saying in your comments.  As mentioned above, I'll be paying a lot more attention as to how I use delay/verb in future songs.  Thanks very much for your input.

Hey Starise.  I'm glad to see you on the new forum.  Thanks very much for listening and the kind comments.

Hi Beagle.  Thanks very much for the kind comments.  Freddy-esque ? -- well, I guess I gotta be me (an attempt at mild humour).

Hey Bob.  ... and I am glad that you have made the transition to the new forum.  I looking forward to listening to some of your new stuff.  I know that you are a busy guy and I appreciate your taking the time to listen and for the kind words my friend.

Hi Paul.  Thanks for listening and I very much appreciate your comments.  BTW, I really like the song on your new post --- well done!

Thanks for listening Daryl and for commenting.  I appreciate your insight about the delay.  I get that all the time.  I don't know what it is about me and delay/reverb but I just love the stuff.  I also have a penchant for slow attack on guitars also.  I guess it goes back to when I was a wee bit of a pre-teeny bopper.  On a good night I could get radio stations like WLS Cleveland, WABC (NYC - the Chuck Dunaway show), WLAC (Nashville - the John R show). and even our local station (CFPL - London, Ontario) would play rock 'n roll from 4:00 to 8:00PM.  Not only did they play the occassional r 'n r songs with a lot of echo and slap-back but even the DJ's would use reverb occasionally.  Some habits are hard to break.  Thanks again.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Hi Allan.  Well, better late than never (I think that quote is correct?).  I'm glad that you found it.  Thanks very much for listening and for the very kind comments!!

Hi Tom.  It looks like you an Allan had a similar problem.  Anyway, I glad that it got resolved and that you were able to listen.  Thank you for the effort and kind comments!!