IK Multimedia Sampletank 4.10 Crashing In Cakewalk

Starise

I hate to be the bearer of bad news. My recent install of Sampletank 4.10 MAX is somehow not playing well with Cakewalk on my computer. All of my other VSTi are solid on this computer. My setup-OS. 5820K i7 o.c. 4.5ghz, 16gb, SSD drives, Windows 10 premium 64 bit.

The stand alone version is ok so far. VST3 loaded and in use.Happened twice after playing the C-7 for maybe a half an hour. Cakewalk closed down and asked about sending a crash dump file. I had maybe 3 minutes of midi recorded. Nothing else loaded in the shell. The midi wasn't important thankfully. I'm not sure where to get the crash dump files. If I can find where they are I'll send one out to CW. The only other track I had loaded in the project was BFD 3. I didn't have anything recorded to it. Locked while playing back the recorded midi.

I will be interested to hear if anyone else has had similar issues using ST 4.10 with MAX or other libraries. I have ST4 pointed to only the MAX library in one folder which includes ST3 and CS sounds. I was really stoked about the 4.10 update and hope it's something simple here, maybe with my setup. I have not tried ST 4.10 with any other DAWs yet. When it worked it worked very well. The SSD the libs are on is new. Might be an issue there. 

Edited by Starise
  • Sad 1

I've been having problems with SampleTank 4 crashing in CW.  Sometimes, it just stops the audio engine.  Other times, it closes CW with a request to save a backup.  I've learned to work around it by a few things:

1. Simplifying parts -- if there are a lot of notes changing on an instrument with large samples, it seems to happen a lot.  In particular, I've had problems with some of the larger acoustic guitar instruments, and with the really nice sounding Brazilian choir.  Change a 4-part harmony to a 3-part -- it often gets much better.
  2. How much RAM do you have in your system?  Switching from 8GB to 16GB helped.
  3. I find that SampleTank is much more stable with the UI closed, and the VSTi running in the Synth Rack.  This is a bit unfortunate, because it precludes balancing and panning sounds in real time, but it's clear demonstrable on my system.

Regards,

-BW

Bruce are you running  version 4.10 ?

I think I remember a comment awhile back concerning the graphics in answer to your point 3. That might be a possibility that the GUI is seizing up somehow retrieving the graphics.Just a guess on my part. In my case I was playing midi sending to the C-7 binaural which is also a fairly large sample set. You are inferring that this might also be sample related. I haven't checked ST4 to see if there are buffer adjustments. This could help. I have 16gb of memory and was only running one sound at the time.

UPDATE- I believe I know what was causing the occasional issues in ST4.  If I loaded an instance of ST4 and changed my mind before the samples loaded clicking on something else I would get the issue. It was mainly just me not being patient enough to wait for the sounds to finish loading I think. Similar maybe to driving along at 60mph and all of a sudden deciding to put the car in reverse.  I have not had the issue again. Hopefully it will stay that way.

I run ST4 in both Cakewalk and Studio One 4 pro.  In studio One ST4 is "blacklisted" . Not sure what that means. I was still able to load and use it in projects.