Cakewalk install confusing with Sonar present

Maurice Alcorn

Question

I have resisted dealing with Bandlab but my Sonar seems to have issues that won't go away.  Losing settings perhaps having to do with conflicts with Skype? and who knows what else.  Loading a project often requires restarts and shutting down skype, audials and browsers as well as sometimes usb connected keyboards. A headache.  Today I tried upgrading to Cakewalk by Bandlab because support.   More headaches.   Ended up with my old Sonar Pro on the screen.   What happened to the download?   lol

3 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Maurice Alcorn said:

I have resisted dealing with Bandlab but my Sonar seems to have issues that won't go away.  Losing settings perhaps having to do with conflicts with Skype? and who knows what else.  Loading a project often requires restarts and shutting down skype, audials and browsers as well as sometimes usb connected keyboards. A headache.  Today I tried upgrading to Cakewalk by Bandlab because support.   More headaches.   Ended up with my old Sonar Pro on the screen.   What happened to the download?   lol

Some machine specs would be helpful.

Personally, I would not be running skype and any DAW similutaneously

Is your PC fully patched and your Vdist Runtimes updated

The Vdist Runtimes are not updated via Windows updates - you need to do these manually.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads

Also, have you installed the latest drivers for all of your hardware.  Do this manually (download from manufacturing's websites) rather than via Windows updates.

There is a document floating around that has a few optimisation tips for PCs running any DAW.

https://download.cantabilesoftware.com/GlitchFree.pdf

Note: For Cakewalk by Bandlab,  there have been various posts indicating that "Processor Scheduling" should be set to "programs" contrary to pages 34 and 35 of above document.

I only have a 4th Gen i5 quad core and I have never had the issues you have described.

For me, downloading, installing and running Cakewalk by Bandlab has been glitch free.

Hi Promidi      i7 4.00 GHz    16GB     64-bit op sys, x64 based processor     5500 GB SSHD   2TB disc drive   Focusrite Scarlett 1820     Behringer Universal Control Surface        

Yes  Thanks!   It took me a while to figure out about skype   I use it for a dual broadcaster thing once in a while, but once I learned it was stealing my input, it's no problem to shut it off.  I'll take your advice on updating drivers.  

It was frustrating to make the decision to download the program from Bandlab only to circle around and find myself staring at my old Sonar Pro.  No worries, I'm stubborn enough to start over and try it again.   I'll see where I went wrong.    

Just good to know there are people here who will answer.   

Thanks again!