All Line 6 Software 30% off

cclarry

30% OFF ALL
LINE 6 SOFTWARE
AND MODEL PACKS

For a very short time, get 30% off all software items in the Line 6 online shop including Helix® Native, POD Farm®, Amp Farm®, Echo Farm™, Model Packs, and more!

USE COUPON CODE
SPRING30
AT CHECKOUT

The sale ends at 11:59pm (PST) on March 31st, so act now!

Buy Now

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

For anyone who has PodFarm and can only use it when connected to a Line 6 audio interface, this is a good chance to get the iLok version.

In my case I had some older songs that used PodFarm and they still sound great.  Very nice to be able to freely use PodFarm. It still has some great sounds.

• Like 3

I'm still running pod xt pro from 2005...which is actually ok but the PC editor/controller is from the dark ages - I had my only win10 blue screen using it.

First impressions of the Helix is that it's amazing BUT - I think they are being a bit mean with the presets...why not give us loads more (they want you to BUY some)...and why use the archaic numbering system with A/B/C/D...and no tags or way to search your presets..... ?    Also no IRs ...again they want to SELL them to you !  Looper is missing from the hardware version - would have been nice to have this.  No tuner. No standalone version (plugin only) -   They should have copied some of the stuff from guitar rig IMO

not totally 5-star but the sound is very good :)

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, lawajava said:

For anyone who has PodFarm and can only use it when connected to a Line 6 audio interface, this is a good chance to get the iLok version.

In my case I had some older songs that used PodFarm and they still sound great.  Very nice to be able to freely use PodFarm. It still has some great sounds.

At some point I upgraded or bought some license addon for my PodFarm so that I wouldn't have to use the interface as a dongle. 
But thinking about it an iLok would be less restrictive as the software license is a single computer installation.

I recently picked up up Helix Native.  Haven't done much with it due to time constraints but I like it.  Seems to have more, to my taste, usable tones than PodFarm but haven't really explored tones in PodFarm in ages.

Edited by TheSteven

1 hour ago, simon said:

First impressions of the Helix is that it's amazing BUT...    Also no IRs

There are if you sign up for Line6's newsletter (which you probably already are) at the following link:
https://line6.com/allure/

Can't testify to the quality, haven't had a chance to do more that figure out how to use them in Helix, but can't argue about the price.

Edited by TheSteven
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, TheSteven said:

There are is you sign up for Line6's newsletter (which you probably already are) at the following link:
https://line6.com/allure/

Can't testify to the quality, haven't had a chance to do more that figure out how to use them in Helix, but can't argue about the price.

I wasn't signed up - but I am now :)

I've demo'd this for the full time limit twice now, both times haven't pulled the trigger, not blown away by it over all, some stuff sounds good, don't think it sounds better than what I've currently got. Last time I demo'd I remember telling myself, no, that's it no need to try it or think about it again. Don't know what it is, the sound, the GUI, the Price, or all of the above. Maybe I should put myself out of my misery and just do it, but the price is pretty steep, especially for something I may not end up using. Would cost me around $403AU now at current exchange rate, I think I'll pass again, if it ever gets 50% of I'll fire without thinking and let the chips fall where they may.

Maybe it's just GAS, this is pretty much the only Amp Sim I am aware of that I don't or haven't owned.

@ensconced similar to what I went through.  I own crapload of Line6 stuff and frankly I was insulted that after investing so much in their company and gear that the best upgrade price they offered was $299.  And I wasn't impressed at all with it when I demoed it.

Then I tried Helix Native with AXE I/O in combo with my Traveler Guitar Ultra-Light Acoustic and the waters parted,  a choir of virgins started singing, my tinitus went away... I was dumbstruck.
I've been trying to find the holy grail guitar / direct box / amp sim combo and while some have close none really had more than a small set of tones I could tolerate.
This guitar only has a friggin piezo pickup but the combo rocks & and the clean tones chime.  The only reason I tried it is because it's my to go lay about practice  guitar and I had an idea I wanted to capture before it evaporated.
Haven't had time to really debug why it even works, too many things right now want to go sideways but thought I take a moment to share.
BTW I ended up buying a used license from someone on the Line 6 forum.  Upside cost me $150, downside license is now NFR.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TheSteven said:

Then I tried Helix Native with AXE I/O in combo with my Traveler Guitar Ultra-Light Acoustic and the waters parted,  a choir of virgins started singing, my tinitus went away... I was dumbstruck.

🤣

I just had a look at the forums, and no such luck at the moment, I'll keep my eye on it. Thanks.

Oh, do you put your rapturous experience down to, the AXE I/O?

Edited by ensconced

5 hours ago, ensconced said:

do you put your rapturous experience down to, the AXE I/O?

While I like the AXE I/O I don't know to what degree it contributed to the whole.

The previous time I used it was with a BC Rich Warlock and I spent a while tweaking the various parameters.  I tried the Helix, meh , moved to IKM Amplitube where I got an decent 80's-ish rock lead / rhythm tone.  This last time I grabbed the traveler guitar, a no-name clear blue guitar cable, plugged it in and adjusted the input gain on the AXE I/O then sampled some of the first 10 Helix presets with the ideal of throwing down some tracks to capture an idea and if it sounded like crap I'd rerecord it later with the Rich or my Les Paul; but I was very pleasantly surprised.
I've tried recording the Traveler before but didn't care for it but as a non plugged in practice guitar, love it.

So I don't know if it's the full combo or not that yields the mana, this happened just before all my free time got diverted into finding & moving dad to an Assisted Living Facility.  Still dealing with that, but I pop here in the forum now & then for a mental break.

Edited by TheSteven
  • Thanks 1

On 7/5/2020 at 5:38 AM, ensconced said:

🤣

I just had a look at the forums, and no such luck at the moment, I'll keep my eye on it. Thanks.

Oh, do you put your rapturous experience down to, the AXE I/O?

I was also very interested in the Helix Native and Jim Roseberry helped out with some useful info:

"The better your front end DI, the better results you're going to get with Helix Native.

If you've seen posts saying Helix Native doesn't sound as good as the hardware, it's often because the user is comparing the hardware Helix (120dB dynamic range on the input) to a $100 audio interface (crap DI) as the front end for Helix Native."

The AXE I/O has a dynamic range of 117dB which makes it ideal for the Helix. However   when I demo'd Helix Native, I couldn't get it to sound as good as I really wanted. Speaking of which, check out the video around  the 5:50 mark. I'm still very interested in getting it, but only if I can get close to the tones he's getting.  Might have to demo it again and give it a more thorough test. 

If you guys know how to get that, would truly appreciate any tips. :) 

42 minutes ago, Mesh said:

check out the video around  the 5:50 mark.

It could be that the Helix Native prefers a 'fuller' tone as it's source.
In the video at 5:50 he has the pickup selector in mid-position, typically I use the bridge which may have been why I never previously cared for the results(?).
The Traveler guitar only has a peizo pickup and it's tone is more full acousticish than normally suitable for a rock amp.
Just conjecture until I get back to my audio computer but food for thought.

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Mesh said:

I was also very interested in the Helix Native and Jim Roseberry helped out with some useful info:

"The better your front end DI, the better results you're going to get with Helix Native.

If you've seen posts saying Helix Native doesn't sound as good as the hardware, it's often because the user is comparing the hardware Helix (120dB dynamic range on the input) to a $100 audio interface (crap DI) as the front end for Helix Native."

I wonder if if it's more down to the input impedance/characteristics of the interface ?  (Passive) guitars tend to need a high input impedance > 1meg.

Most guitar amps (and lots/most) pedals are up in this range -  The high output impedance of the p/u coil is very sensitive to odd things going on in the input impedance/cabling of the amp/audiointerface.  

I know a lot of audio interfaces claim to have hi-z imputs but I suspect the problem is more subtle than that - impedance is a bit of a "3D"  value and not usually very linear over the frequency range.    

I strongly suspect that accounts for some of the differences between interfaces/guitars electrical characteristics. FWIW I'm using my original Pod XT Pro input > SPdif > soundcard and I'm happy with the sound.  Might compare with a different input if I get time. 

• Like 1

On 7/8/2020 at 12:21 PM, Mesh said:

The AXE I/O has a dynamic range of 117dB which makes it ideal for the Helix. However   when I demo'd Helix Native, I couldn't get it to sound as good as I really wanted. Speaking of which, check out the video around  the 5:50 mark. I'm still very interested in getting it, but only if I can get close to the tones he's getting.  Might have to demo it again and give it a more thorough test. 

If you guys know how to get that, would truly appreciate any tips. :) 

I checked out the Specs of the AXE I/O and my Clarett and they are pretty much the same, same dynamic range etc. I've been curious about the AXE I/O since release, but never bothered because I have been extremely happy with the Clarett.

Anyway, I have been checking the Line6 forums for people wanting to sell, no luck yet, but I've almost convinced myself to pull the trigger before the sale ends. First I am going to download the demo again and see what I think this time, if it's a good impression taking into account everything else I have I'll grab it, if not . . . well no harm.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ensconced said:

I checked out the Specs of the AXE I/O and my Clarett and they are pretty much the same, same dynamic range etc. I've been curious about the AXE I/O since release, but never bothered because I have been extremely happy with the Clarett.

Anyway, I have been checking the Line6 forums for people wanting to sell, no luck yet, but I've almost convinced myself to pull the trigger before the sale ends. First I am going to download the demo again and see what I think this time, if it's a good impression taking into account everything else I have I'll grab it, if not . . . well no harm.

I'm in the same boat as you and going to  test the demo properly....I think there's a bit of tweaking involved to get it right and hopefully, I'll find the way to do this. 

It's $209 USD with the coupon code....tempting. 

7 minutes ago, Mesh said:

I'm in the same boat as you and going to  test the demo properly....I think there's a bit of tweaking involved to get it right and hopefully, I'll find the way to do this. 

It's $209 USD with the coupon code....tempting. 

How do you get $209? do you have a qualifying product for a lower normal price?