Westerly

Douglas Kirby

More Doug being Kirby!
A little more "dirt" on the vocal this time, eh?
I've mentioned this before, A Gray Colored Sky definitely has a "sound" and a "vibe".
Note: My ears are not at their much "battered" best lately (tree pollen allergies).
The guitar on the left seems to "dominate" just a little too much, use your best judgement.
All 'round; more thumbs to ya baby, continue to rock on!

t

• Like 1

Reminds of 1960s and Beach boys.

Are you using chorus on your voice?  some form of effect.. cant pick out what it is.
Guitar and keyboard I would take down in left channel.
Drums could be a little more define...  I think the reverb is a little too much.
Something sounds out of tune to me..

Remeber we all paint different pictures and these are only my opinions and Im not taking away the work you have put into this composition.

• Like 1

Doug

You should see if your town would use the song on their website if they have one.
I liked the vocal treatment, subtle but effective. I never have trouble understanding your lyrics - always very clear delivery.
Catchy guitar accompaniment. Really like the flute (or some kind of pipe).  The keys at ~3:30 are a bit loud IMO.
I think this is one of the best songs you've posted.

• Like 1

Douglas, I had to listen to this a few times because the lyrics are worth repeating.  Terrific song!  The flute caught my attention, as it is very prominent, and I would suggest panning it closer to the middle so that it doesn't cover up the piano (?) in the right channel.  I, too, like the vocal treatment and the overall vibe of this piece.  Though your songs have a familiar and nostalgic vibe, I think you are unique and in your element.  Nice work with Bjorn, btw.

• Like 2

DeeringAmps - Thanks Tom - I appreciate your comments.  On the lead vocal - I used the Waves Reel ADT plug - I thought it gave my vocal a bit of a psychedelic vibe.  Thanks again for listening.

garybrun - Thanks for your comments.  Per your critiques, I decreased by a bit the guitar in the left channel and the keys.  I took a bit of reverb off the drums.  Regarding the tuning issue, it's the keys - I keep trying to get the keys in tune - it's EZKeys - I hope it sounds alright now.

Wookiee - Thank you very much for lending your ears to my song.

bjornpdx - Hey Bjorn - thanks for the compliments - I'm glad you liked it.  Maybe I will send the song to the town's website - good idea. By the way, the flute is the Mellotoon EZKeys vst - it's pretty cool.

Lynn - Thank you very much for your kind comments.  I'll look at the panning of the flute for my next remix - good suggestion.

• Like 1

I agree the lyrics are terrific.  The part I enjoyed most was the overall arrangement.   As pointed out above, some corrections in volume or panning might be made but everything conceptually in the arrangement works and works well.  Being a rhythm guy, I particularly like the way that there is a rhythm that drives the songs but blends in perfectly with the melody of the vocals. 

Well done!!!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, freddy j said:

I agree the lyrics are terrific.  The part I enjoyed most was the overall arrangement.   As pointed out above, some corrections in volume or panning might be made but everything conceptually in the arrangement works and works well.  Being a rhythm guy, I particularly like the way that there is a rhythm that drives the songs but blends in perfectly with the melody of the vocals. 

Well done!!!

Thanks Freddy - I appreciate your comments.  Thanks for lending your ears to my song.

Another great song and I think you have a "sing the phone book" voice. You are getting some good mix tips so I will only generally add there might be just a hair leess of the bass guitar. People are hearing a tuning issue but I don't think it's the vocals, I think it's the bass, which as we know the lower pitches are the hardest to tell the tuning. But the bass, if that's what it is, is not super far off, and I;ve started to think that part of your work's excellent vibe is owing to the fact that tuning is not in unison. Most of the live recorded work is not pitch perfect and I think you are making this work for you, not against you. If that makes sense. It's adding to the vibe that the song already brings.

OK, at 2:10 your bass plays a note that suggests a minor scale, whilt the keyboard above it is clearly playing a major chord. Just noticing! I assume that's intentional.

Really cool tune. Another really cool tune!

cheers,

-Tom

• Like 1

emeraldsoul - Thanks for you comments - I think the bass is alright, after listening to it again - I did another remix.  It was the electric piano that was out of tune - I tried to fix it again - I think I got it right this time. I recently pickup up a couple of Super Snarks - which has more precise tuning, so I'll be using them from now on.  Thanks again for listening.

sven450 - Thanks for listening.  I took off some more reverb on the drums per your suggestion.

kakku - Thank you very much for giving my song a listen.

JohnBee58 - I'm glad you liked the song - thanks for listening. I like the piano parts, so I'm going to leave them in - we can agree to differ in opinion there😊