RME Babyface Pro

cclarry

22 minutes ago, DeeringAmps said:

@Carlos
Ok I did some critical listening with the DT990's (open back) & DT770's (closed back).
I felt there was no discernible difference in the HP-60 and the UFX headphone outs.
Now true story, at 68 my ears are "compromised" and not just by age. I have more than
"just a bit" of tinnitus; so take what I experienced with that in mind. What I was surprised
by was how close the DT's were. Both are very "present" in a good way, with well defined low end.
I also tried some K270's, Ultrasone 650's (very thin actually), neither were as "present", nor as
balanced in the low end. I have a set of Sony MD something, these are retro fitted (can't remember
the vendor) with "cuffs" that pretty much let no bleed out. I use these when tracking vocals or
acoustic guitar. Better than the K270 and Ultrasones, put not near as present as the DT's.
I do hope this helps in your quest.
Do I remember right, we discussed the DT's in a thread before, and you, at the time, were not a fan?

tom

Thanks so much Tom, yeah, I wasn't a fan, then I wrote my little essay in this thread, lol.

These are some more thoughts of mine:

Why every single USB interface I've had sounds harsh (feels like there's added electrostatic noise or something in my ears/headphones).

Just bought a Solo 3rd Gen, first impression was it sounded pretty good, then in the morning (2 am) I woke up to use it, and it all sounded harsh again...

Win 10, Acer Nitro 5 (laptop).
Tried a different laptop without connecting it to the wall... same issue.

I've had Audient iD44, Tascam 16x08, Focusrite 2i2 1st gen, Tascam 2x2, Behringer Uphoria 404HD...

All sounded harsh in some way or another.

DT 990 Beyerdynamic and Sennheiser 599 headphones used.

Worst part now is that even my Modi 2 USB sounds harsh.
I feel that after installing the Scarlett's drivers, everything went down to hell.
But it's just perception, since I really can't recall if that was the case.
I uninstalled the drivers, still had harshness.
When it arrived I just connected it and maybe I remember wrong but I just listened to some songs and they sounded pretty good.

I feel if I bought the RME Babyface Pro FS that I will feel it's harsh too, that it won't solve my problems.

Because I feel the constant factor in all this mess it's me... so maybe it's me... the issue, lol.

Besides feeling some sort of electrostatic in my ears along the music (headphones), what I am calling harshness, I feel all the sound is so "tinny" as I've read
on some Google results.
I call it just metallic. Literally. I can feel it in my teeth too. Weird because last 30 days I wasn't having this feeling with the Schiit Modi 2 USB + Heresy.

Edited by Carlos

5 minutes ago, synthmeister said:

BabyFace Pro has an external power input, so you could use an external linear power supply or battery pack for higher quality power.

Also has low and high impedance headphone outs, so they may perform slightly differently.

About the linera power supply I tried that with the Audient... it sounded worse.
The best way I can describe my issue is when you take a Saturation plugin (which is just some sort of distortion) and adding some "juice" to all the audio.
Sounds so nasty...